What's wrong with my set up?

Participant count
  • Participant list
First off, I understand I'm new and you're all going to say I should do a search, I have, both here and on google and nothing seems give me more information.

So, some problems I'm having with my set up that just started recently are:

1) That my sub with go out for like 10 seconds and then come back (as if it's rebooting it seems like). I don't think it's an over heating problem because the sub has been hooked up for over 2 years and never had a problem up until a month ago.

Subwoofer set up: Rockford Fosgate P3 12" 500Watt Sub (Dual 2 Ohm) powered by an Alpine M500 Amp.

2) The other problem is my speakers will cut out until I turn them down if they are up high. And this is really pissing me off because I spent a lot of money on the speakers and amp. It seems like this is only happening when it's loud and the windows down but it will occasionally happen when the windows are closed.

Speaker set up: 4 Alpine Type R Speakers powered by an Alpine F300 Amp.

Extra details: I drive an 08 Mazda3 Sedan with a custom fiberglass subwoofer enclosure.

The more detail the better. Any ideas of what could be wrong and ways to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Sean

Your speakers could be going bad. I had that same issue at first. I had a set of pioneer coax in my GTO at first and everytime I turned it up the amp would go into protect. Switched out to the kicker comps and no issues.

a dual 2 ohm sub can be wired for 1 ohm or 4 ohms.

your amp can only handle 2 ohms minimum.

you likely have your sub wired to 1 ohm, which is too low of an impedance for your amp.

you have the wrong sub for that amp. you should have gotten a dual 4 ohm.

you could wire the sub coils in series for 4 ohm, but you'll get half of the amp's rated output power. so you won't be as loud and you'll have to live with that. maybe that will be enough for you. if not, buy the correct sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.