What's wrong with my amp?

Skoty422
10+ year member

Ok so I was going to set the gains on my rf bd1500.1 with a dmm and they will only read 17.9v with a 50 hz test tone. Anyone know what's going on? I haven't used this amp in years. Is it possible that it just messed up? Any way I could do some test to check it out? Oh I just remembered I did use it a month back and hooked it up to two jl10's for about 30 sec before I blew the surround off them. I disconnected the remote wire off of it and haven't powered it up until today. I had phase set at zero. Subsonic filter off. But if I would adjust the lpfreq filter the volts would move up and down. Also that is with the gain wide open. Hi set to 45 sub at -12 db slope. 50 hz filter from head unit. Set to mono. I think that's everything. All sub levels set at zero.

I started off with the amp gain all the way down. Then gradually turned it up. Then I realized that it was all the way up and only 17.9v! I then checked the volume on head unit. It was at my max of 45.(80prs) checked all other settings. They are fine. I did not have a load hooked to it and front and rear spkrs were muted.

Ok. I'll try it. Does this amp have internal fuses? Maybe one of them crapped out on me?
No it does not..you should have an external fuse on that amp.of approx 60-80 I believe if i can remember, and needs 4ga wire feed, as well as 4ga ground if i remember

plenty of juice..Did that amp shut down on you/go into protect when you had those jbl subs going?
No. Not at all. But it does whine. I don't remember if it did that before or not. But I've read a few post that says they infamous for one to whine. I have a ppi275 that will give me 34v at 3/4 gain. I don't know what's the deal with this rf!

I tried the zero out on dmm and same thing. 17.9 v.

No. Not at all. But it does whine. I don't remember if it did that before or not. But I've read a few post that says they infamous for one to whine. I have a ppi275 that will give me 34v at 3/4 gain. I don't know what's the deal with this rf!
I tried the zero out on dmm and same thing. 17.9 v.
Wow..Hmm,Id pm @Spooney, he would have some better insight of that amp..he works on amps as well.I deff dont have an answer for you,I can only speculate,

Ok so I did a few test. I'm getting 13.8v dc of power to the amp. I changed RCA to see if they were bad but with lpf set to 50hz and gain all the way up output reads 15.6v ac on dmm. If I change the lp frequency and turn it all the way up it'll read 17.9v ac. But that's all I could get out of it. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.