whats the boner these days ?

Ali1
10+ year member

e6300 FTW
U.S.
hey everyone,

I'm trying to get back into car audio. Last time I was here, sundown audio and zx2500s were the highly most talked about amps here for their reliability and accuracy. As for subs, TypeRs - FI BTLs - AQ HDCs - were the most talked about subs for their own purposes. Are there newer products in the same lineup with a better price point? Last time I was into batteries were Kinetic and Powermaster.

What changed?

What exactly is it supposed to be set at? And why?
I was always told 5hz below tuning freq, and have stuck to that.
your subsonic is set at the lowest frequency that you want your subs to see... basiclly it, with your LPF, sets a range from lowest to highest, of frequency that your sub will play.... this is done to protect your sub from damage, from playing too low... 20 hz is usually a good starting point for MOST systems

and if your setting it 5 hz below tuning, your limiting your sub very badly, for what it will actually play

your subsonic is set at the lowest frequency that you want your subs to see... basiclly it, with your LPF, sets a range from lowest to highest, of frequency that your sub will play.... this is done to protect your sub from damage, from playing too low... 20 hz is usually a good starting point for MOST systems
and if your setting it 5 hz below tuning, your limiting your sub very badly, for what it will actually play
That makes sense. Ive messed with it on my last system and ended up finding my subs would play louder at lower frequencies but would lack high end, so to speak for a subwoofer. Ill keep this in mind, thanks

I think that is where this stupid tuning to 20hz thing came from, I'm at 55hz and it will play to 10hz strong. I'm running a horn but still.
The problem isn't usually that the enclosure won't play low but rather the fact that in a standard ported enclosure you get a lot of unloading 5-10Hz below tuning. I'm also willing to bet if you modeled up a ported enclosure for 55hz tuning anything below 35-40 is non existent.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.