Whats the best way to wire this system?

Participant count
  • Participant list

e22s
10+ year member

i have 2 12" Dual-Voice-Coil 4-Ohm type R's and the V12 mono amp which is going to be hooked up to both...what is the best way to wire this system so its loud? i listen to a lot of rap with heavy bass....the box i have is a sealed one....please help me out...i plan to hook these up in a couple days....thanks for the help..

there these:

Type R's

V12 Amp

i have 2 12" Dual-Voice-Coil 4-Ohm type R's and the V12 mono amp which is going to be hooked up to both...what is the best way to wire this system so its loud? i listen to a lot of rap with heavy bass....the box i have is a sealed one....please help me out...i plan to hook these up in a couple days....thanks for the help..
there these:

Type R's

V12 Amp
It doesn't look like that amp is 1 ohm stable, so you'll have to hook it up for a 4 ohm total.

http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31984

Alright if you want to make this work with what you have you will have to take your subs and wire them to one ohm. Most 2 ohm stable amps of decent quality like your alpine can do one ohm, but sometimes some amps are not considrerd "one ohm stable" bnecause it seems like there is no distirtion and people just turn them way up and then they get way too hot. But if we get this amp to put out 600 at one ohm it wont get much more hot than doing 600 at two ohms which its cabable of. Your amp puts out 600w at 2ohms but we can make this work with a 1ohm load as long as you have good 4 guage connections, a new 4 guage wire from the alt to the battery, and a 4 guage wire from your battery to the frame. After you do that download a 50hz test tone and play it in your deck hooked to the amp. with all the equalization off on the amp and your deck. Play the test tone and turn the volume on your deck as loud as you would want to play it, or however loud you want your deck to be at when your amp is at 600 watts RMS. Ok when yhe test tone is playing set a Digital multimeter to AC volts and measure the voltage on the terminals without any subs hooked to it then adjust the gain on the amp to 24.5 volts not 25 or 26 or 22 it has to be very close to 24.5 its pretty important. If you want to do the math just square the voltage and thats how many watts your amp will put out. this will give you 600 watts RMS at one ohm, aproxximatley, without considering box rise but its a good starting point. Since you like rap music, you could barley tell the difference betweena ported and sealed box except you would like the ported better because its louder! So essentially you could sell one of your subs and build a nice ported box for one of the type r's and it will be just as loud if not louder with one sub. 600w is perfect for the type-r and then you will be running your amp at 2 ohms which its meant for. I have two type r 1242ds and ive had them sealed 1ft each ported 1.75 each @32hz and one of them ported 2.2ft at 34hz and the 2.2 ft at 34 hz was alot louder than the two sealed and was about the same as the two in a 1.75 each. now i have one in my car in the 2.2 and one in my room in a 4ft home theatre box at 28hz

One big rambling run-on sentence full of erroneous info
Regardless of the above poster's opinions I would NOT advise that you drop a 1 Ohm load onto an amp that is not specified to be stable that low. Yes, i am aware that there are amps out there not stated for 1 Ohm that will take it but are you willing to risk potentially burning up a perfectly good amplifier to find out the hard way?

Wire your subs to a 4 Ohm final load - that's the safe bet. See the wiring diagram as posted in vette's reponse //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

thanks for your others opinions, but dont you think rather than running them at 4 ohms and each getting barley any power, he should build a nice box for ONE of them and run it maxing at 2ohms?

thanks for your others opinions, but dont you think rather than running them at 4 ohms and each getting barley any power, he should build a nice box for ONE of them and run it maxing at 2ohms?
I don't think that is a bad suggestion at all, amartin. But your earlier post began by suggesting that he drop a 1 Ohm load on his amp. Personally this wouldn't be a suggestion I would make to anyone at a novice level. The smell of smoke soon after emptying one's wallet is never a happy experience.
You then meandered into saying there will be barely any difference between a ported and sealed enclosure since he listens to mainly rap. Umm.....oKAY?! What?!

It wandered all over the place before it finally got to the suggestion that he use a single sub in a good enclosure and wire it to 2 Ohms (which yes, would be the optimal solution at this point)

Sentence structure and punctuation > joo..

Makes for a bit of a hard read.

thanks for the help and suggestions...im thinkin of just gettin another v12 amp (i work at best buy and get um for cheap)....i just didnt want to have 3 amps...

i am going with wire on this one. but u have to run it at 4 ohm. which is only gonna give u 250 rms. which isnt jack for those subs i would get another amp or a new bigger,

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.