What would you do with $7500?

Thanks guys for your input. It helps more then u know. Kickstand, your setup is about what I had in mind, however, my kick panels has a air vent tied into them. Metalheadjoe 7.5k would probably be more then enough if I were doing the work myself, unfortunately I don't have the time to commit to a project like this, and yes, the entire trunk is fair game. Adulbrich, I want to avoid any changes to the doors and dash. Outside of that, custom console for HU, removing spare tire, and kick panel changes for front stage is what I'm aiming for. The shop I chose seems to like kicker products. The installer suggested comp r 12's with kicker 800.1 amp and Morel's for mids and highs with a kicker 360.4 amp. Custom enclosure against back seat ported into package tray between 6x9's. A custom built console, wires and labor comes right around 6k.
My gosh that price sounds really high. I don't think 800w in the trunk is going to be enough power to disturb the peace, though we all define that differently. Do you know any details about the custom box they proposed? What percentage of the price tag was labor (most guys here do our own installs, so need a budget for just equipment)?

I would go with a single 15" in the 1-1.5kw range, a 3kw amp, and a truly custom ported box designed around your application. You might need to upgrade your alternator depending on what yours is rated for, and more battery capacity never hurts.

I have used my fair share of kicker products, but I don't see myself purchasing any ever again. However, if a shop is doing your install, they probably won't like you denying them the product sales.

Keep us updated with your progress!

- Joe

My gosh that price sounds really high. I don't think 800w in the trunk is going to be enough power to disturb the peace, though we all define that differently. Do you know any details about the custom box they proposed? What percentage of the price tag was labor (most guys here do our own installs, so need a budget for just equipment)?

I would go with a single 15" in the 1-1.5kw range, a 3kw amp, and a truly custom ported box designed around your application. You might need to upgrade your alternator depending on what yours is rated for, and more battery capacity never hurts.

I have used my fair share of kicker products, but I don't see myself purchasing any ever again. However, if a shop is doing your install, they probably won't like you denying them the product sales.

Keep us updated with your progress!

- Joe
We haven't discussed enclosure specifics. Supposed to go over all that next week when I drop car off. $2500 parts $3300 labor (30 hours). I've put a deposit down already. Would I be out of line to ask for specific products like jl audio instead of kicker?

Door panels for that car are not that expensive. I'd get a nice head unit. Put at least one set of 6.5"s in the door. Personally I'd do an 8" and 6.5". Build some fiberglass A pillar pods for at least one set of tweeters. I'd do two pair. Two Sundown Zv5 12"s and a couple of Sundown Salts

So just listened to a set of kicker q series 12's with cx1200.1 and man do they thump. That being said, I decided to go with them for subs, morel 4" coaxial in center dash, morel 6.5" in kick panels, kicker 3 way 6x9s in rear, cx 360.4 amp for mids and highs, custom spec sub box facing forward ported into package tray, Sony 5500 HU, dead mat entire floor board and trunk lid, replace all carpet, stinger wire. All within budget. I know kicker is frowned upon in this forum, but my ears have told me different. Dropped car off at shop today. Will post pics when I come back in town to pick her up in a few weeks.

We haven't discussed enclosure specifics. Supposed to go over all that next week when I drop car off. $2500 parts $3300 labor (30 hours). I've put a deposit down already. Would I be out of line to ask for specific products like jl audio instead of kicker?

Hold on.....I have a tough time figuring out how these numbers make sense. Even with the Morel speakers.....$2.5k seems high for the equipment you listed. And what are they doing to car to necessitate $3.3k on labor alone!?

I've actually designed a built a box for this exact type of car. It was a gold/tan one. The Buick is a Wildcat or something like that? Idk if I missed it. I'll never forget those rear tail lights and that sort of clamshell angle. I know with bass, those huge trunk side walls will flex. That trunk is so long, you might want to brace it if you want to put some serious bass in the trunk. I watched the dude that we built a sealed box for, iirc it was 2 RE 12's, and just that made the trunk flex like mad, and he just had the car painted. His eyeballs about popped out of his head over worry when we played the system and he saw how much that car was flexing. So, I'm just saying, if you put a lot of bass in that car, you need to do panel work to add weight and/or stiffen that car. I would. I apologize if I missed any info.

Hold on.....I have a tough time figuring out how these numbers make sense. Even with the Morel speakers.....$2.5k seems high for the equipment you listed. And what are they doing to car to necessitate $3.3k on labor alone!?
Sony 5500 HU, 6.5 Morel's w/teeter in kick panel, 4" Morel's in dash, kicker 3 way 6x9 rear, (2) square L7X 12's, 1200.1 and 400.1 kxa amps, rear camera, custom ported box with beauty paneling, sound dampening entire floor board and trunk, new carpet, custom console, custom wrap package tray. I know for a fact I could've found someone cheaper, but one thing in life I learned is skilled labor isn't cheap and cheap labor is skilled. This car is almost 60 years old, and I'm keeping the the stock look for the most part.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Buick65

CarAudio.com Newbie
Buick65
Atlanta
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views