What would you choose?

SbassLaser

CarAudio.com Recruit
I'm planning a future build and trying to decide what amps to get. I would want to be able to run at .5 ohm. The subs are probably going to be Sundown ZV6 18s. Probably two subs per amp at 1 ohm but might upgrade to one sub per amp at .5 ohm. I'm trying to decide between 3 choices, main factor being how much power they can put out (obviously, lol) but also at what voltage they can do that power. If one amp is doing rated power at 12 volts but another does it at 14.6 volts, Id rather take the first one. But I also would like to get the most bang for my buck. So i'm trying to balance the best of those three factors.
The 3 I'm thinking of are the taramps smart 5 (maybe smart 8?), sundown salt 4k, and crescendo bass clef 6k.
What would yall choose and why? This will be a demo build mainly but I wouldn't mind competing as well.

Last edited:

0.5 ohm warranty included

Last edited:

0.5 ohm warranty included
Not a bad choice but if I wanted to hold my voltage over 14.4 to get rated power Id run the taramps smart 8 bass. Thats my main issue with the smart bass amps from taramps, theyre rated at like 14.6. What I like about crescendo and sundown is that they do rated power under 14 volts.

Not a bad choice but if I wanted to hold my voltage over 14.4 to get rated power Id run the taramps smart 8 bass. Thats my main issue with the smart bass amps from taramps, theyre rated at like 14.6. What I like about crescendo and sundown is that they do rated power under 14 volts.
Correct me if I am wrong, ye old aphorism says "It takes power to make power". That said, with such power specs will you not need a high output alternator, thicc cables, and high energy storage units. Most popular today are the supercaps and to my limited knowledge of them, I thought they operated on a higher regulated voltage than say AGM. Will you be using something other than supercaps?
EDIT: I meant lithium banks.

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong, ye old aphorism says "It takes power to make power". That said, with such power specs will you not need a high output alternator, thicc cables, and high energy storage units. Most popular today are the supercaps and to my limited knowledge of them, I thought they operated on a higher regulated voltage than say AGM. Will you be using something other than supercaps?
What he said!

I plan on charging around 15 volts running plannano LTO cells. With that said, amps that are rated in the 13s vs rated in the 14s will make more power at higher voltages. For example an amp that can do 1000 watts at 13 volts will do more power than an amp that can do 1000 watts at 14 volts if theyre both being ran at 15 volts. With that said, i'd like to not have to worry about voltage drop being too big of an issue if/when that happens. Charging at 15 volts doesnt mean ill always stay at that voltage. If i drop into the 13s Id like to know my amps can still do at least their rated power.

I honestly don’t see the point of going past something like a Taramps smart 8k for those subs unless you are purely competing and chasing every .1 of a db on the meter. With a 2500 watt rms subwoofer, 4000 watts is going to get 99.9% of the sound those subs are capable of producing. You get to the point of diminishing returns. Where you might go from 4k per sub to 8k per sub and only gain 1 or 2 tenths of a db on the meter. And not even be able to tell the difference by ear after you do it.

I honestly don’t see the point of going past something like a Taramps smart 8k for those subs unless you are purely competing and chasing every .1 of a db on the meter. With a 2500 watt rms subwoofer, 4000 watts is going to get 99.9% of the sound those subs are capable of producing. You get to the point of diminishing returns. Where you might go from 4k per sub to 8k per sub and only gain 1 or 2 tenths of a db on the meter. And not even be able to tell the difference by ear after you do it.
I probably wouldnt go with a smart 8 on each sub. I know theyre rated 2500, even if thats a conservative rating i dont think Id need 8k clamped per sub. I would like to be in the 3-4k range clamped power per sub when its all said and done. So I'm thinking if I run 1 amp per sub at .5 ohm then Im probably going to rise up over 1 ohm at least, so I'm trying to find an amp thats .5 ohm stable and can do around 4k at 2 ohm. Right now im leaning towards the bc 6k. I do like the taramps smart series, Im running a smart 5 right now but Id like to have the option for wiring at .5 and that means the smart bass series which don't do very well on the dynos that ive seen.

That Ruthless 8500 does well over rated power at 12 volts. It does 11k rms at 15 volts. Those are 2500rms subwoofers though.
watching a dyno video right now and these are impressive amps. I would think the 4500 might be more along what I would want tho. Especially at the price it's at right now, seems like a very good deal.

Maybe if you're only running tones you might see dyno power...but music is dynamic and most of the time you're speakers/subs are seeing far less power than you think

Maybe if you're only running tones you might see dyno power...but music is dynamic and most of the time you're speakers/subs are seeing far less power than you think
I play mostly rebassed music which is basically made using steady tones. at least some of the songs are lol
And especially doing a demo build im gonna be playing music with pretty much constant bass.
Last time I competed with my current build I was clamping pretty much the same power with both a test tone and on music.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...