What will be missing in my setup...

mj121983
10+ year member

IL
Hello everyone. Merry Christmas.

I will be taking my car to a professional (Mobile Concepts) this Monday. There, they will create a pair of custom kick panels for my 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP to house my 3" midrange and 1.1" tweeter which are part of my DLS Iridium 6.3 Component speaker set. The 6" woofer will be enclosed in the door panels. The speakers will be powered by an under-rated 85x4 @ 4 ohms Arc Audio 4150XXK amplifier.

I chose an IDMAXD4 12" v3 subwoofer, mainly because of it's compromise between SPL and SQ. The sub will be powered by a DLS Ultimate A3 bridged@2ohms to give me 870 or so watts RMS to the 1,000 watt RMS sub. The subwoofer will be enclosed in a ported box with a slot and will be turned at 28hz as recommended by Image Dynamics, maker of the sub.

The head unit powering my system will be an Eclipse 8053 with 8 volt preouts. I chose this HU because of the amazing reviews it has gotten as being possibly one of the best if not the best under 1,000 HU.

Sound deadener will be applied to the doors, rear deck (no speakers in rear deck because I want the low bass to come through the slots, and I want the best imaging I can get), trunk lid, trunk compartment, floor, and ceiling. Basically, the entire car will have sound deadoner. I have brown bread ultimate sheets, dynamat extreme mats, cascade audio mats, a cascade audio spray, Second Skin spectrum and that's about it.

Wiring will be top of the line Stinger dream series RCA cables, and the very best Stinger wiring, terminals, I could buy.

My main concern here is SQL. I want it loud, and I want it to sound beautiful. I want people to get in my car and know that I spent some money on my system. I want it to sound different than everyone else's system. Are there any noticeable components that my system will be lacking when I go to have the system installed? I thought about getting a second subwoofer, but from what I've heard, if sound deadoner is used, and a good custom enclosure is also used, than the SQL should be very good. Especially if I have no rear speakers....basically I want to make sure I'm going to "feel" the bass vibrations throughout the car.

Also, if anyone has any experience with sound damponer/deadoner, please tell me in which parts of the car I should put the sheets, the spray, and the liquid (Second Skin spectrum).

I put a lot of money into this system, and I don't want to be dissapointed. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

it sounds like a damm great system, what are you gona do with the other 2 channels of the xxk 4150?

100 watts going to tweeter and midrange, and 100 watts going to the midbass x 2

Dang, I'm jealous. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Nice ride...and nice system! I'm a GP owner as well. If you haven't already make sure you check out the Club Grand Prix Forums. There's a wealth of info there for your car.

Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate the positive responses very much! Since no one really recommended anything else like midwoofers in back, horns, extra tweets or subs..I guess I'm fine for now.

Thanks for the GP link //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Merry Christmas

id get an eq a fat one lol i wouldnt mix horns in with that its a matter of tastes really you dont know what to add until its done but a dqt would be awesome in that lol

Alright bro, I'll look into an EQ. Any suggestions on a kick ass really high end EQ? Thanks in advance //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Anyone got any input on a high quality equalizer as well as feedback on wear to put the different sound deadoner types? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Talk to your installer on where to put the different types of deadeners. People have different preferences so you'll get different responses. The spray is the only thing I'd be questionable on. Some sprays harden completely and are not as effective as mat. You might still use it in seams and hard to reach places that you couldn't reach with mat, but beyond that I'd stick with the mats. The thickest stuff I'd use in the trunk and doors, then the floor if you have more left. After that it's not as noticable.

Ya know, if you'd of held off till July, you could of gotten an '05 with a 5.3L V8. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Make even your supercharged P90 put it's tail between it's legs. The GP version is said to have 350hp. Course the '05 GTO's will make 400 (so they say). My poor 3.8 isn't even SCed, but it's still plenty capable of getting me pulled over.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/pullover.gif.ac2de04a20ebe8c72a715e86e00c8c0d.gif

Well I wanted a V6 for better gas efficiency.... I had a V8 and it ate gas like no other. Oh well. I'm happy with the 260 HP..I'm going to add some modifications after I get my system in to push it well over 300 HP so it's cool..take care, and thanks all for the posts //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.