What type of amp should I be looking for??

Sugar Daddy

OK, I have an Alpine 12-inch sub, with 200 watts RMS (what the hell does RMS stand for?) and 600 watts MAX. Exactly how much power should I be looking for, in an amp? And since I'm running one sub, does that mean I'll be running it in bridged mode? I'm new to car audio, as you might be able to tell, so please help me out!

hello

ok, you have one sub. Is it a 4 ohm ? It should say on the box or manual if your're not sure what this means. If this is the case, you should purchase an amp that says something like "300w max" or even as low as "250w max". I would go with 300, no more than 400max. 600 is usually just an exagerrated number that the companies come up with. If you put 600 watts into your sub, you would more than likely blow it. Further more, yes you would bridge your sub, having only one. Make sure when buying an amp, it says "bridgeable". Im pushin my two 400w subs with two 100w amps at 4 ohms. It sounds pretty darn good. well, good luck!

Thanks for the help guys. I think I might get an MTX 2-channel amp that puts out 240 watts of bridged power at 4 ohms. It has a max power of 100 watts. What do you guys think of this amp?

Great amps MTX THUDNER ones, ,I have two of them, one is the 2300x its 4 years old as far as the technology goes, but it works better than your sonys, pioneers and kenwoods, signal to noise ratio of 115 db on the certificate.

Read my sig to know what the other amp is, Very nice amps and very underrated, so easy on the bass boost, ,hehehe

the MTX amp sounds like a good match for your sub. i have two MTX amps for my subs and they hit pretty hard and the ratings are pretty accurate from MTX.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.