What to do with a FUSED Dist. Block when your amps already have internal fuses?

BodegaBay
10+ year member

AV Enthusiast
If I have an amp kit (Lightning Audio Storm SQ1/0) and that kit uses a fused distribution block with dual 50A maxi fuses, can I still use it for my Arc 4150-XXK amps that already has internal fuses? If so, what can I replace those fuses with?

I'd really hate to buy a new non-fused block...

Guys,

I know that it protects the electrical system. However, with the amps I have experience with, JL Slash and ARC XXK all have built in fuses in the amps. Each of those manufacturer has clearly told me that I would not have to use fused distribution block; yes I still have to use an inline fuse at the battery, but not at the distribution block.

That said, will it hurt if I use a FUSED DISTRIBUTION BLOCK with these amps?

That said, will it hurt if I use a FUSED DISTRIBUTION BLOCK with these amps?
No.

It is typically recommended to use fuse a wire any time you decrease in wire guage. If you aren't decreasing in wire guage, and just splitting one wire into two wires of the same size, then a fused distro block isn't necessary but won't hurt anything if you used one.

Squeak,

Thanks. To clarify, I will be running a 1/0 guage main wire to the rear then splitting it into two 4ga wire to power each Arc 4150XXK amp. Each 4150 have 75A fuses built in. I intend to put a 150A amp fuse at the battery.

At that thickness of wire it's better to get a fuse that can handle the potential load of the wire, you should get a 250 amp fuse for the 0 gauge wire at the battery, and 150 for each 4 gauge wire connecting to the amps.... just my 2 pennies

yes... the fuses are to protect the wires... so u fuse the wire according to the gauge
i dunno man...i thought fuses were to protect the gear. Why fuse a $1000 amp when there is a precious $20 power wire at stake. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif jk

if you already have it...might as well use it. If the amps are fused it wouldn't matter either way but a fuse at each end of the line wouldn't hurt you in any way. fuggit, better it being used that sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

is it perdy?

amp fuses protect the amp

wire fuses protect the wire

unless you want a ****ing fire in your trunk. use a god **** fused distrobution block. NUFF SAID.

if you dont. you might have pay the consiquences. and a $15 piece of hardware is alot less than a new car, amps and sub when your car is on fire and your gastank explodes.

i dunno man...i thought fuses were to protect the gear. Why fuse a $1000 amp when there is a precious $20 power wire at stake. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif jk
The inline fuses are indeed to protect the wire. The Amps already have fuses on them for protection. If your wire shorts and starts carrying an ass load of current.. what would you rather have happen.. the amp roast or your car catch on FIRE.

Fuse to protect the wire.

so why do all manufacturers tell you to add the fuses for the amps and use that as an inline fuse? (I know thats what Diamond told me and an authorised TRU/RE/Knukonceptz dealer)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.