What to do w/door for best low-end from 7"ers?

sportyaccordy
10+ year member

NYC
Here's what I have planned:

- Seal up the front w/Dynamatish material

- Fill the back w/the paper egg cartons (can I use the styrofoam ones though? They're easier to find)

- Cover my 1" spacer w/clay, let it harden (hair dryer maybe?)

Here are the important specs on my midbasses:

*Frequency range: 35-5,000 Hz

*Fs: 55 Hz

*SPL: 90 dB 2.83V/1m

*Vas: .50 cu. ft.

* Qts: .71

*Xmax: 2.5 mm

Are these (namely the Qts) good specs for a free air setup? They'll be run up to about 2.5KHz, but they won't be highpassed at all...I want maximum low frequency extension from these (i.e. BOSE systems...even the fronts reach low into the freq. range, as much as they "****") as I don't want a sub and my 6x9 rears are maxxed out bass wise. I might highpass everything at ~30-35Hz though to keep it safe. What else can I do to get the most bass from my insides?

With that kind of excursion, you wont be expecting much low end. The lower the freq, the more the cone has to travel to reach a specific output.

I don't think you want to use paper egg crates at all. I beleive what you sould be using is closed cell foam. Like the mattress toppers are made of. Closed cell will not absorb moisture. Also I beleive what most use is a non hardening modeling clay around the edges of the baffle to seal it to the door.

Yeah....when people talk about egg crate foam, they aren't talking about literal egg crates.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-515&raid=54&rak=260-515

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=35&ObjectGroup_ID=368

Those are the type of products you want to use behind the speaker.

And, as mentioned, with only 2.5mm Xmax, chances are it won't have extreme low frequency extension unless you overdrive the speaker. And yes, spec wise it looks like a good candidate for IB.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.