help!

souporman

I don't know anything about anything. All I know is that my car sounds like crap and I want it to sound like awesome. So... I guess I know that.

I have a 1991 Honda Civic DX hatchback and I'm pretty sure one of my speakers is entirely dead and the other sounds like somebody murdering a duck. If somebody could make some suggestions on speakers, or anything else I might need, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't want to put a box in my trunk, I just want to replace the two speakers in my doors with something that doesn't ****.

As far as price goes, I wouldn't mind spending around $300ish. I already have a deck, I'm just looking for some speakers, or maybe an Amp or something. Like I said, I don't know anything about this stuff...do I need an amp? Thanks.

oh my ... your car has no mounting depth... My advice is learn how to fiberglass //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I would suggest starting with speakers, and amp for the speakers -- and I would advise getting atleast a 1/2 decent subwoofer as well at some point...

What deck do you have btw?

I have the Omnifi DMP1 (http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/archives/000344.php)
I bought it because it was cheap on http://www.woot.com and it played mp3s. I was looking at speakers, but I don't know what size to get...does it matter? Should I just measure my speakers and get the biggest that would fit? Thanks for responding.
Well unless I understood their page incorrectly (awful information)... it still needs a head unit -- that is just a hard drive for the car -- handy though...

Need a head unit with an aux in...

How much did that cost btw?

You will need speakers... 6.5" speakers with less than 1.75" mounting depth fit lmao... thats why I said now is the time to learn how to fiberglass to make kick panels or speaker pods... yea that ***** I know... I guess you could cut on your doors -- reinforce the back side of the panel -- and apply adequate sound damping materials...

You will likely want component sets (ones that come with a separate tweeter) -- Just better that way //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

You will also likely want an amp for the component sets -- will give you more headroom and sound loads better than the head unit power...

You will also likely want a subwoofer or 2 -- again an amp needs to be bought for these as well -- also a box to put the subs in... and there is wiring to be had... yea this is starting to get expensive...

I have an 89 civic sedan. Managed to put 6.5" speakers with 3" mounting depth into doors. I used 1" MDF spacers to clear the window and raised the door panel (speaker area) with plastic wall anchors(from Home Depot) attached to the door panel clips.

If I can do it, so can you. Both cars are very similar.

thanks for the help guys. seems like there's a lot I need to learn about concerning car audio. After your advice I've decided to learn a little more about this stuff instead of just buying some speakers that will fit in my car. Thanks!

Listen to as many brands as you can, read reviews and forum posts. Get an idea of your sound quality requirements and then set your sights on those brands that can deliver.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.