What to check for when buying used amplifiers?

IsThisTaken
10+ year member

Found someone selling a used 08 Kicker amplifier on craigslist. They asked to meet on saturday at an autozone. What should I look for before buying this thing?

He said it works fine and everything, besides a small crack by where you put the screw to mount the amp, as well as 2 screws missing from the casing of the front of amp.

Is there anything in-particular I should look for, or listen for?

I'm hoping he has it hooked so I can make sure it works fully.

So....

check to see if RCAs are loose.

Check for signs of burning around power and ground terminals.

Look and smell for burnt wire

Look for dents

we buy amps all the time online that we never power up or tested before it's mailed to us.

while you want to test it, you can't half-*** test it or you'll risk damaging it yourself and then you have a fight on your hands. wiring direct to the battery must be done very carefully and must be fused. the amp could have an internal short and you want a fuse to protect your battery.

it takes time to test an amp, time he won't want to spend. instead of meeting him at a store, go to his house. people are more honest when you know where they live.

you could charge a 1F cap and it'll turn the amp on if all you're looking for is a light. but that won't tell you if the outputs are bad.

missing screws are a big deal to me. missing case screws are a dealbreaker without a full bench test.

I know not everyone is readily capable of doing this, but I have a "test kit" I use to check amps out. I have a co-axial and a 10" sony sub I can test output with and 4 (and 8) ga wire readily available for testing. I use an RCA to aux splitter (through my droid) for the media player and I haven't had an amp checked by my "test kit" fail me yet.

bring a DMM , set it to DC volts (something low like 2 volts) Something that will read millivolts and check for discrepancies between channels for DC offset. and any reading out of the very small millivolts readings means there is trouble brewing.

Buy a new amp with a warranty and think nothing of it! If the used amp is missing stuff like sink screws chances are its been tinkerer with and a 08 kicker amps are everywhere unless its a rare old school amp worth repairing if burnt up.then I wouldn't mess with it personally.

I wouldn't buy an amp off craigslist without powering it up......ever

Perfect example, I meet a guy in the mall parking lot to buy a hifonics amp from him. I take the 5 minutes or so it takes to hook it up (everything) to test it out and immediately it starts causing my sub to make a high pitched noise (obviously faulty). He says his buddy gave it to him as payment for a debt...yeah right, whatever, I don't care where/how he got it, the point is he was trying to sell it as fully functional and had I not tested it, I would have bought it and been SOL when I finally powered it up.

I wouldn't buy an amp off craigslist without powering it up......ever
Perfect example, I meet a guy in the mall parking lot to buy a hifonics amp from him. I take the 5 minutes or so it takes to hook it up (everything) to test it out and immediately it starts causing my sub to make a high pitched noise (obviously faulty). He says his buddy gave it to him as payment for a debt...yeah right, whatever, I don't care where/how he got it, the point is he was trying to sell it as fully functional and had I not tested it, I would have bought it and been SOL when I finally powered it up.
Just recently took someones word on a SS reference 1000S , luckily i paid 75 for it , a bostwick 2 channel (working) , a mcintosh d/a converter (sold for 100) , and a pair of cheapo 10's in truck boxes. And i traded the blown SS to a member on here who fixes amps for some other good stuffs. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif But yes , always check.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.