Help on what i need to do to my truck

Participant count
  • Participant list

beat-down69
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I did have 2 15 inch alpine type R subs and a Hifonics HFi1500d amp in my 96 gmc sonoma ext cab. I have a optima yellow top bat under the hood and a 6 farad cap and 4 guage power wire. Everything was completly perfect. In my opionion it sounded great and really loud.

Well then i came across 2 Re Audio Mx 12s and a Hifonics HFI 2500d amp. So i bought them. Well i hooked up the Re subs in my truck with my 1500watt amp first just to see what they would do. Well now all my lights will dim really bad and my battery guage will drop to 9 volts after each hit.

So i know when i hook that Hfi 2500d amp up it will probly shut my truck off LOL So can any one give me some advice of what to do.

Are you talking about the amp being lower then 1ohm stable
Chances are you wired it wrong when you setup these new subs.

If your Type R's didnt dim your lights with the same amp on the same amount of wattage, changing subs will make no difference in electrical output or RMS output of the amp..basically the amps pull power.. not your subs

The only way to strain the electrical load would be by increasing the current pulled. Most likely you accidentally wired it to .5 ohms or something lower even?

What voice coil's do the Type R's have, and what are the MXs?

Oh. Well, nevermind then. Unless you managed to read the diagram incorrectly. Did you wire them like this?

2_1ohm_dvc_1ohm.gif

On the Mx subs i connected + from one coil to a - on the other coil on the same sub and + and - to the amp. I done this for both subs and that is suposed to be 1 ohm load

On the Mx subs i connected + from one coil to a - on the other coil on the same sub and + and - to the amp. I done this for both subs and that is suposed to be 1 ohm load
Hmm.. thats odd. You should have a 1 ohm load both ways then... If all your settings on amp are the same, I have no idea how giving different subs the same amount of power at 1 ohm would change like that.

The only thing I can think of is either a loose ground or you possibly wired your type r's wrong originally (maybe you were running those 4 ohms) or you wired these up wrong.. Double check your wiring. And check the grounds too.

Were these MX's used or new? I would maybe check the coils on them with a DMM ($15) and see for sure what the coils read.

I used the12volt.com wiring to do the type r subs and the mx subs were new and i already ohm'd the coils and each one read 1.2 ---1.4 ohms each

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

Now i havent checked any ground wires or nothing that was the next thing i was going to do after i did the big 3 setup

I used the12volt.com wiring to do the type r subs and the mx subs were new and i already ohm'd the coils and each one read 1.2 ---1.4 ohms each

Hmm.. yea thats crazy.. Something's pulling some crazy current, or maybe your alt took a **** or something.

Check your grounds.. its easy.. are they corroded anywhere? Is your battery terminal corroded? Try to reground somewhere new, maybe its loose. Like i said, double check all wiring again.

Big 3 will help, but still, 1500 watts is 1500 watts, the subs wont change that. So if you were fine before you should be fine now.

The 2500 on the other hand will most definitely need the big 3.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.