What system do you recommend?

nebstewart07
10+ year member

MO
I am looking at spending about $1,000 for subs, amp, and box. I was looking at getting some kicker l7 12's with the zx1500.1 amp. I loved my single l7 10 and zx500.1 amp. but by the looks of it(by searching on here etc.) people seem to not like kickers so I am debating on what to get now. My ideal goal is to be able to compete eventually in spl competitions. i just want something that can at least make me somewhat of a competitor. I dont think it will happen with 1000 dollars but who knows.

My current set up includes:

Pioneer AVH-4200DVD (7 inch touchscreen head unit)

Kicker KS525 (5 1/4 front speakers)

Kicker KS693(6x9 Rear Speakers)

Kicker ZX350.4 (Amplifier for speakers)

Car has been sound deadened(second skin audio) with mlv(sencon skin audio).

I also have the kicker anl fuse holder and a rockford fosgate distribution block

Using 0 gauge wire

So the question is what amp and sub/box combo would you recommend? What are some reasons why people dont like kicker? Too mainstream, High priced or what? Thank you in advance for any advice.

PS I was quoted 1300 dollars for 2 l7 12s and the zx1500.1 and kicker box. From looking at kicker.com the msrp on the kicker subs and amp alone should come to 2000 without box. Should I hop on this deal or not?

Alright sig has been updated. Umm I prefer purchasing stuff new and from an authorized dealer with warranty. I prefer not to buy systems used since I have been screwed too many times on systems so I try not to buy it that way unless it is extremely cheaper and I can hear it/see it. Main question is can I compete with 2 kicker l7 12's and the zx1500.1?

2x sa 12s

1 aq 2200

wont even be $800 and will be loud

if ur worried about them handling that power(jacob has told me they will handle 1200 if u dont clip them) u could go for two bl 12s but then u will prob be over $1000 with shipping

if u can fit 15s u could do two sa 15s and the aq 2200

2x Sundown SA 12's (in a good custom ported box) $400 for subs / $100 for box +/-

1x Sundown SAZ 1500 (1500 watts @ 1ohm) = $450

The SA 12's are very good speakers for SQ and SPL. Just depends on box and tuning.

So for about $1000 you would get quality new subs/amp and build your own box.

You can go to Sundown Audio

Look for internet dealers.

Would also look nice having the matching subs/amp for competitions if you built a nice box / amp rack.

So best recomendation around 1000 would be 2 fi bl 12 with an AQ 2200 or would the sa perform better? What kind of db can achieved with one of the these setups?

What I am really wanting to do i get sponsored eventually for competion but i know that I must have a decent setup before that can be achieved. I know that you cant just not have a system and expect to get sponsored like some sites say lol.

I know a local guy using 2 SA 12s and a SAZ 3k hitting 150+ out of a TRUNK

He had 1 12 btl hitting 148's on that same 3k, matters what class you want to run in and etc.

personally i would go sa 12s over the bl because they cost less than the bl and im pretty sure the sa can handle 1000 watts just like the bl. now since the bl is rated for 1000 it might like 1100 daily better, but the sa should have no problem as long as u dont clip them. u can clip/push them for the 10 seconds to get them metered, but dont do it daily.

if its just going to be a competition setup, u can prob get lil stronger amp to burp. lots of videos of sa 8s and 12s being burped with redic power for 150 or more

i would really like to hear the sundowns in person. Does anyone live around kansas city, mo or des moines, IA or omaha,ne with sundowns?

what do u wanna hear them for? they are spl woofers that sound decent.

they wont have the best sq but they will sound better than kicker subs if that gives u an idea

Im just one of those people i guess that like to hear what Im getting. Maybe im wierd. Ive watched some youtube videos but i hate watching them for subs as all of them sound the same a whole bunch of muffle through the mic on the camera lol.

For reason i remember hearing that sundown makes great amp but not the best subs is this true or am I mistaken?
Sounds like you're just looking for excuses to not buy a product you don't know.

what size of a box do the sundown sa 12's need
This isn't a genuine concern nor interest to you, you are only asking to cover up the fact that you won't be buying sundown.

If it makes you feel any better. Kicker doesn't make great amps or great subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.