What subs for first 4th order box?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ilikeradios
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I want to build a 4th for my Lexus GS300 and port through the 9" hole in the rear deck that the factory sub used to be mounted in.

I have a max of 5 cubes gross to work with.

It would be nice to use some subs I currently own.

I also have read that you want the subs as far from the port as possible (not sure if this is 100% true)

Because the port has to fire up through the center of the deck it puts the port right in the middle of the box.

I made this very crude drawing of how I think it could be laid out.

The subs I have are a pair of

10" Alpine Type-R's
10" JL Audio 10w3v3's
8" Skar ZVX's

I have 2k watts available.

Goal is max bass, listen to Rap music.

Thank you all.

Also who can give me a design here?

Sorry man but that is beyond my understanding.

Could you explain it to me or perhaps tell me if the Alpines would work good as I think they are the best match for what I am looking for.

Sorry man but that is beyond my understanding.

Could you explain it to me or perhaps tell me if the Alpines would work good as I think they are the best match for what I am looking for.

If you learn how to calculate now, you wont ever have to second guess yourself or rely on another's advice which can be wrong or right. You can just confirm it with your own scientific calculations. By calculations i mean google EBP calculator. Then look up TS parameters on your sub models and enter in the calculator viola done.

My speculative guess both alpine and JL will work. Zvx will sound like trash in a 4th. Just personal opinion not verified by any calculations.

Calculate the EBP and if its 50 and under, you can use it in a 4th.
EBP is fs/qes and tells you what type of box the sub favors. EBP under 50 means the sub is suited to a sealed box and would also be suitable for a 4th order.
EBP calculator

Thank you for teaching me that.

Plugging in both the Jl and Alpine specs gives me EBP of over 60 on both of them

So now I am at a loss. This is also weird as JL seems to really recommend this driver in a sealer box, I currently and running them in a seal box and am rather unhappy with the sound.

So can anyone recommend a pair of 10" drivers (I think that is going to be the best driver based on the size I have to work with) that are not too much money.

it is a bit frustrating that I have a whole collection of drivers and none of them will work right in this application.

Well very interesting. I put the Skar's in the calculator just for the heck of it and they come out with a EPB of 33

Now I know on this board (and every other board) you all hate Skars.

However I have been running them since they came out in 2010 or so and have had nothing but good results.

That pair of ZVX 8's were amazing in a crew cab truck I had them in using a ported box and 2k watts.

So it looks like they will work good in a 4th, however they take a very large box so not sure if I have the room for them.

Who do I talk to here for a GOOD box design, I will pay for it of course.

These are the results for the drivers I have

Skar ZVX 8's = 33
Alpine 10 Type-r = 52
JL 10w3 = 60

So what would you run?

What I would like is the driver that would use the least amount of space.

can anyone tell me between the Skar and the Alpines which would work best in a smaller box?

I really do not want a large box in this car, so the smaller the better.

skar and alpine would do fine in a 4th. Flip a coin. They are actually pretty similar in enclosure size since alpine does decent in pretty small boxes as well and the skar is obviously an 8.

EBP isn't something you should always rely on, esp when the value is between 50 and 100. It could go either way with each having it's benefits and trade offs. I have a pair of 10w3v3s and I don't see any worthwhile gains putting them in a 4th order compared to a regular ported box.

EBP isn't something you should always rely on, esp when the value is between 50 and 100. It could go either way with each having it's benefits and trade offs. I have a pair of 10w3v3s and I don't see any worthwhile gains putting them in a 4th order compared to a regular ported box.

Biggest reason for me is I need to get all the sound in the cabin and none in the trunk.

I have 2 compressors in my trunk (air ride) and my current setup they are loud as fuk in the car.

My goals are to build a 4th, port into the cabin through the factory cutout int he deck, seal that off, and sound deaden between the trunk and rear seat (I removed everything to get more bass into the car)

skar and alpine would do fine in a 4th. Flip a coin. They are actually pretty similar in enclosure size since alpine does decent in pretty small boxes as well and the skar is obviously an 8.

Well surprisingly the 8's take a darn huge ass box. My last one was 2.6 net

I believe the Alpines and the Skars would take the same size box, of the 2 which do you think would be better output?

The Skars are smaller but have a further excursion than the Alpines.

Well surprisingly the 8's take a darn huge ass box. My last one was 2.6 net

I believe the Alpines and the Skars would take the same size box, of the 2 which do you think would be better output?

The Skars are smaller but have a further excursion than the Alpines.
i'd personally do the alpines because they just sound better, i dont like the sound of the zvx series, however i only heard the 18s.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.