what speakers for the rear?

unkle11
10+ year member

hi guys

i'm actually new to this whole car audio thing so please bear with me,

ok so far i have a set of mb quart dsd 216 components and a cheapo lanzar 4 channel amp, it's a vibe 420 i think, what i want to know is what sort of speakers should i be getting for the rear? do i get 6 by 9's? or should i fit in a pair of subs? or can another set of components go in there? i read that 6 by 9's aren't very good for imaging, so what other alternatives do i have keeping in mind i don't really want to cut up the car unless i really have to, should i just keep the rear stock and use 2 channels of the amp to power the woofer? all this kit is going into a 03 civic coupe, will that help?

thanks

Depending on who replies, you'll get different answers.

some if you have components up front, you don't need any speakers in the back (referred to as rear fill) because it ruins "imaging". Some put speakers in the back in case they have people back there. I would advise against 6x9s, get a plate adaptor thing and get 6.5" circular speakers, they don't distort as easily as oval speakers. For instance, I bought my 6x9s before ever reading anything, and when i amped them to get there full RMS, they distorted ALOT and it was unbearable to listen to.

i say forget rear fill. i have no rear fill except for a single e12a off 1200 watts and i've never heard anyone complain about how it sounds lol. mind you this is also in a 4 door jimmy so.

adam

Yea.. everyone has a different opinion. I just have two speakers up front and my subs in the back, but Im in a truck. If I put speakers in the rear, they'd be right beside my ear and ruin my hearing. :-D

As far as speakers in the back for your car, I think that in cars, having speakers in the back just sounds better. The sound just kind of fully surrounds you. If you think you want subs, go ahead and get them. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I agree about getting 6.5s instead of 6x9s.

Hope that helps

so anyways, i've got the dcd 216 components and lanzar amp, then i found a bargain for a pair of premium series components, i was thinking of gettng those and hooking them up in the front, and dumping the lower end dcd's at the back for rear fill, good idea or no? i don't have woofers... yet but i like the idea of blazers single 12", i'm not really a basshead, i find it mucks out the music, so blazer, where can you get e12a's? and what amp are you using to power it?

Originally posted by unkle11 so anyways, i've got the dcd 216 components and lanzar amp, then i found a bargain for a pair of premium series components, i was thinking of gettng those and hooking them up in the front, and dumping the lower end dcd's at the back for rear fill, good idea or no? i don't have woofers... yet but i like the idea of blazers single 12", i'm not really a basshead, i find it mucks out the music, so blazer, where can you get e12a's? and what amp are you using to power it?
http://www.edesignaudio.com is the website for Elemental Design's seems to be a very large favorite for people on this site and SIN. my sub is tuned to 28hz very low and is cut off at 65hz and my mid's pick up at 80, so i have no real gap there. any gad that was there i tweeked with my Eq. now for my comp setup i'm going to get a 2nd e12a and port em to 56hz in a 9.6cuft before displacment box. oh and my amp is an American Bass CX 1200D.

adam

thanks those eds look promising, after some surfing also found out about adire, saw a clip on the adire site of a mark 3 powered by 60w, that thing was thumping!! so now i have a choice between the ed and the shiva,

so now my plans are to power a pair of 6X9"s in the rear using the headset, (cos amping those would cause distortion right?), use two channels off the lanzar for the front components, and bridge 2 channels of the amp to power a sealed 12" woofer (ed or adire) in the trunk, sounds ok? also, i'm pretty handy with tools, so i might just build a box for the woofer myself, what material are boxes usually made of? plywood? fiberglass?

woofer boxes should be made out of 3/4" mdf(medium density fiberboard) and the 6x9s run off of ur headunit will also distort more than if they were run off an amp(HUs cause more distortion than amps).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.