What size speaker gauge?

Participant count
  • Participant list
To start, I've searched the internet for my answer FIRST. The results there did not please me, because no one could come up with a general consensus. I need to put 2000 RMS to two SA-8 V2's @1Ohm. I've heard results between 12-8 gauge wire. Think you guys could give me some input? Also, is Knuconceptz Candy line any good, its tinned OFC and I do know that all their other products are excellent quality. Its good as long as its not tinned aluminum?

Just came to the realization that their candy line is power wire, but from what I've heard it makes no real difference.

Speaker wire carries AC current, not DC. This isn't power wire. You'd be fine with anything 12 or larger, really. If you're paranoid, stick with anything over 10ga and you'll be fine.

And you're thinking of Copper Clad Aluminum. Which is fine as long as you properly terminate and wrap the ends. The key concern there for speaker use is corrosion, not current capacity.

Speaker wire carries AC current, not DC. This isn't power wire. You'd be fine with anything 12 or larger, really. If you're paranoid, stick with anything over 10ga and you'll be fine.
And you're thinking of Copper Clad Aluminum. Which is fine as long as you properly terminate and wrap the ends. The key concern there for speaker use is corrosion, not current capacity.
Yeah, Copper clad is what I was thinking of. Thanks for the clarification on all this! Now the tough choice is deciding how paranoid I am.

Yeah, Copper clad is what I was thinking of. Thanks for the clarification on all this! Now the tough choice is deciding how paranoid I am.
Honestly, just get some Knu TCA 10ga. 44 cents a foot and some of the best wire I've run in any application. I love that the insulation has a little tack to it and cuts easily.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.