What should I have done? New speakers in Accord

Botle Rocket Wa
10+ year member

I've got a 1995 Accod with a Pioneer DH-2600 head unit (The front image enhancer is great!). The car has 6.5 inch speakers in the front and 6x9's in the rear. Here's the deal.

I've put new speakers in a couple of cars now including two Preludes and an Acura CL. I put Pioneer 3-ways all around and the all cars really sound great. The sound is perfectly balanced, perfectly crisp and clear, and just as great as I can imagine. The preludes have no tweeters and sound the best. The Preludes also have 6.5's for the front and rear. The CL does have tweeters and there is slightly too much high pitched type sounds. (sorry for my wording!).

In my Accord, the replacement for my Prelude, I decided on new speakers. I apparently wrongly made a decision to put 4-way (6.5's up front) and 3-way 6x9's in the rear. This car has tweeters. All speakers are the curren model Pioneers available at Best Buy and Wal Mart.

The sound is amazingly clear, and loud if I care for it to be. I really don't care how loud it is, but sound quality is my number one priority. It does not sound good. It sort of sounds like the treble is up to 15 on a 1-10 scale. The high pitched sounds are almost painful to hear. It just doesn't sound right...It sounds as though the front speakers are trying too hard. It sounds much worse than my Prelude, though definitely crisper/clearer.

Was this a stupid thing to do? Is there any situation where a 4-way speaker is the way to go? It seems as though 3-ways up front and 2-ways in the rear might have been a MUCH better way to go. Am I right?

4-ways seem worthless. I truly regret my choice...

With sound "quality" as a priority, not loudness, what is the best way to go? What should I have done?

Anything higher than 3 way is a gimmic, hell even 3 way non components can be a gimic.

Sounds like you like Neutral sound and non harsh tweets?

Maybe DLS would be good for you.

But that will probably give you sound quality and loudness and cost too much.

Whatever you do you should get some neutral sounding COMPONENTS so you can adjust them to your likeing, and a HU with an equalizer would help too. 2 way components will sound much better than 4 way 6.5's!

So...

What 2-ways would you guys recommend? I can move my 3 ways from the back forward and get some decent 2 ways for the rear. I can find someone that wants some 4-ways.

What 2-ways are recommended and where can I find them? Are standard Pioneer 2 ways decent? I am guessing no.

My head unit does have an equalizer, but it is electronic, and I have no idea how to do use it...It has stock settings I use like "Vocal" and "Powerful".

Didn't your car have 6.5" stock speakers? Did you cut and modify to put 6x9s in? I'd suggest 6.5" or 7" speakers for SQ and getting a decent little sub... I would suggest leaving whatever is in the back now -- in the back and putting a decent 6.5" or 7" component set upfront... as well as get a budget subwoofer from ebay or the classifieds... What would your budget be for everything and I'll try to give you some options.

I have a set of Pioneer 3-ways, and they do get quite harsh at high volumes. Hopefully my RE components will sound nicer!

Try a component set, with a silk tweeter. Most anything over 2-way when it comes to coaxial is ********, they just use a tiny tweeter called a "parasitic tweeter" that is just attached to the central one, so it vibrates with similar frequencies as the real one... but produces no real sound of its own. A quality component set in the front and good 6 x 9 2-ways in the back should sound nicer.

The Accord came stock with 6.5's in the front doors and 6x9's in the rear. I have no idea what the tweeters are.

You had asked about my budget...That's the problem, I already replaced my speakers.

I put new 4-ways in the front doors and new 3-ways in the rear.

Will it really hurt to leave 3-ways in the rear? It seems as though with the type of sound coming from the rear with my CD players front image enhancer feature, it really wouldn't make a difference. They are very powerful speakers and I doubt they are my causing my "sound quality" problem.

Let's say I have $65 or so to spend on a brand new set for the FRONT. I assuming I will still leave my little tweeters alone.

What would you guys recommend?

Some links to websites to buy would also be greatly appreciated.

The link that Geezersoup posted does seem to have just about everything though.

SSS 18734, I just saw that you're also in Kansas City...What area are you in? Where is a good audio place?

I have a set of Pioneer 3-ways, and they do get quite harsh at high volumes. Hopefully my RE components will sound nicer!
I find that Pioneer coaxes sound harsh as well, JVC's are pretty good though.

well for $65 its pretty much impossible to get a decent component set. You should at least double your budget if you want some good entry level comps, and I would also highly suggest adding an amplifier. Personally I would also leave the 6x9's in the back that you already installed. Rear fill speakers don't have to be very good because you won't really have to turn them up loud.

I havn't been to that many shops here in KC. The one I go to most is Xtreme Audio by 82nd and Wornall... They sell good stuff but the owner is a douche and they sell things above MSRP. I've heard KC Trends is a good shop, but i'm not sure where it is.

Where in KC do u live? I'm near I-435 and Wornall

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.