What kind of screw should I use to mount subwoofer to MDF enclosure, also what size?

I know its a basic question but I am not exactly sure what screw is the best screw to buy to mount my 10" subwoofer to the new 3/4" MDF enclosure ... also what length is needed as well?

Thanks so much for the info ... just want to make sure I buy the correct screw to hold the sub tight to the MDF.

-Chris

Depends on the size of the gasket. 1/2" wood screws would be fine unless gasket protrusion requires more. 3/4 or 1" in that case.

You want super secure, though, drill out a hole for some T-nuts and use machine bolts //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I use 1" pan head coarse thread drywall screws with the holes pre-drilled with a 1/16" bit. I get them in bulk at a local building supplies store. Don't over tighten the screws.

One option is using a "T-nut" and bolt. You would only need four for a sub and it will not go anywhere. Very secure, but could be considered overkill.

1" inch I think would cause the screw to come out the back side of the wood inside the box ... is that wise to do?

I kinda thought 3/4" would be best since the sub mounting area is not more then 1/8-1/4" I would think ... that way you get about 1/2" bite in the wood without it puncturing through right?

http://www.ehow.com/info_8293114_type-screws-use-screw-subwoofers.html

eHow says to use 2" drywall screws?!?!?

So are these screw suppose to go all the way through the wood inside the enclosure???

I plan on using basic drywall or deck screw if possible ... I'm thinking a pan head will also be better ... maybe like the gold or green pan head deck screw or something?

Also what diameter is correct?? #8 or #10 or something???

Like I said ... just wanting to get it right the first time .... I know T-Nuts are recommended by many but I will not be going that route as once this sub is installed it will be there for the next 6 years till I upgrade to a new truck (or the sub blows, but I doubt it ... I don't crank my music like crazy).

Some good concrete type, length and size info would be greatly appreciated. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It really doesn't matter what screw you use, or how much sticks through into the box. I'd go too long before too short personally. I've used 1" coarse thread drywall screws with fine results on 80 pound + subs. Lately I prefer the deck screws with a star bit since it's less likely your screw gun will slip out of a star hole and blow out your surround. Though really if you take care you shouldn't be punching your screw gun through the surround anyway.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.