What kind of battery to use?

Participant count
  • Participant list

U-H.Com
10+ year member

Hey guys...

Just wondering if there is a huge difference between the battery types out there. For example I saw an Optima yellow top for $185 US, but I also saw a cheap Energizer at Walmart for like $50. The one at Walmart was 800-1000 amps while the Optima is 870 (I think). Is there a huge difference in these batteries? Is it necessary to go out an blow that money on an expensive battery when all I am looking for is the power?

Originally posted by U-H.Com Hey guys...

Just wondering if there is a huge difference between the battery types out there. For example I saw an Optima yellow top for $185 US, but I also saw a cheap Energizer at Walmart for like $50. The one at Walmart was 800-1000 amps while the Optima is 870 (I think). Is there a huge difference in these batteries? Is it necessary to go out an blow that money on an expensive battery when all I am looking for is the power?

Depending on why you are wanting the battery? The optima will outperform the hell out of the energizer, but it may not be necessary if you are not running a high current system for long periods of time without starting the car. Keep in mind..... when the car is running you will be running off of your alternator, not your battery.

I have been using the yellow batteries I think they are everstart or some crap like that from wally world. There well under half the price of the optima's and they work great. Been using them for three going on 4 years now without the slightest problem. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The amplifier is an MA Audio 2500x1 (Although true wattage is more likely 1600-1800 at peak levels). I will be using this system as my everyday car. I was told that I dont need to upgrade my alternator, I would just need this battery and a cap. Although It goes against my thinking of a second battery will drain the alternator more. I'm going to probably pick up one of those cheapies and see if its straining my electrical system at all....

Originally posted by U-H.Com The amplifier is an MA Audio 2500x1 (Although true wattage is more likely 1600-1800 at peak levels). I will be using this system as my everyday car. I was told that I dont need to upgrade my alternator, I would just need this battery and a cap. Although It goes against my thinking of a second battery will drain the alternator more. I'm going to probably pick up one of those cheapies and see if its straining my electrical system at all....

Your feelings are correct. An extra battery will add more draw on the alt. The only thing an extra battery will help with is park time. It will increase the time you can run your system with the car off. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

U-H.Com

10+ year member
U-H.Com
Grimsby, Ontario
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from