What kind of amp do I have? (MA Audio HC4002)

mockall

Hi fellas, I'm new to the boards but this seems like the best place to ask my questions about an amp.

I have a brand new MA Audio HC4002 that I am currently listing on eBay but I am unsure (despite the box saying it's a 2 Channel) whether I have a Mono or 2 Channel or maybe some other type of amp. I'll post the specs right out of the booklet along with an image. Any help would be appreciated. Also I can't find anyone selling such an amp on the internet perhaps you guys could give me an estimated msrp & what I can get for it now. I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance.

10gz21j.jpg

Features:

High current, Non-regulated power supply.

Double sided PCB.

2x Quiet cooling fans (Thermal regulated).

24dB Active slope crossover.

18dB Variable frequency bass boost.

2x VU Meters.

Variable phase shift (180º)

Line out.

Protection status indicator.

Specifications:

Bass frequency range: 45Hz to 90Hz

Bass boost: 0 - 18dB

Frequency response: ± 1dB from 10Hz to 40Khz

Signal to noise ratio: > 100dB

Input sensitivity: 100mV to 7V

Channel separation (At 1W): > 60dB

Damping factor (At 1W / 50Hz): > 240

Typical current draw at idle: 1.4 Amps

Power output:

Into 4 Ohms @ 13.8V DC = 2 x 400 Watts

Into 2 Ohms @ 13.8V DC = 2 x 700 Watts

Into 1 Ohms @ 13.8V DC = 2 x 1200 Watts

Into 1/2 Ohms @ 13.8V DC = 2 x 2000 Watts

Bridged into 1 Ohms @ 13.8V DC = 1 x 4000 Watts

Here's a picture of the inputs:

2nc14w9.jpg

$535 shipped or make an offer.

-

mockall

LOL. 4000 watts on 160 amps of fusing.... I wonder how they do that? I know fuses don't blow fast (32V car fuses) but, seriously, 277 amps @ 14.4VDC = 4000 watts... Now this amp is definately not Class D, it's Class AB. And likely at 100% max power it is only 66% efficient, so if that is true, would need what, about 120 MORE amps of current at 14.4VDC to produce 4000 watts at 14.4VDC, so that would be around 400 amps... Now how can you squeeze 300-400 amps through 80 amps of LittleFuse?

wrong, is a high current 2ch, half ohm stable. about 1600rms+. those were nice amps.
at first i said 2 channel but searched it on the forum and found a thread with the guy saying its mono.... oo well that's the last time im using the search feature

BTW: as to the OP's original question. It is a nice looking amp, but probably only a collector would give you much money for it. It's a little older now, and over-inflated power output ratings and other things won't allow you to get a whole lot of money for it from a regular guy wanting to buy an amp who knows what he's looking at, but a collector might. I would say given it's condition, it's worth $400-$500.

LOL. 4000 watts on 160 amps of fusing.... I wonder how they do that? I know fuses don't blow fast (32V car fuses) but, seriously, 277 amps @ 14.4VDC = 4000 watts... Now this amp is definately not Class D, it's Class AB. And likely at 100% max power it is only 66% efficient, so if that is true, would need what, about 120 MORE amps of current at 14.4VDC to produce 4000 watts at 14.4VDC, so that would be around 400 amps... Now how can you squeeze 300-400 amps through 80 amps of LittleFuse?
good point

Also would like to note. I have rebuilt these exact models before when I used to do local amp repairs alot of the local guys had these. It is a beast for a AB amp, but definately not high quality.... run of the mill large Class AB from 4 years or so back if not older. I think it had 20 x IRFZ44N in the power supply and 20 x TIP35C/36C outputs, 10 per channel. So about the same output as a PPI A1200. But in a much bigger heatsink.

A high current Class AB amp has a decent sized power supply to help a good strong output section pass more current to your speakers at lower impedance (ohms) loads. A regular non-high current design class AB amplifier has a weeny power supply just good enough to provide current and voltage to a higher working voltage output section that will never see (never recommended to see anyway) lower than around 4 ohms impedance.

Basically, it's more rugged, and will produce more power at lower impedances if it is a "High Current" amplifier.

i had the hc3002 and the hc302. sold the 3002 to a kid and put it on 2 cvr 12s and literally smoked them within minuites lol. told him to keep the gains down until he got two more cvr's.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...