What is the biggest Home Audio site (kinda like ca.com) ?

Well I have a sort of probably antiquated and blunt idea for my home theater

The Magnepans for highs, and a Mach 5 SPL 12 for lows tuned to 35 hz

Powering them will be a pair of Adcom 555's.....

At least you have an idea where you want to go...I am still questioning the supernice 2.1 vs. regular 5.1.
Some day I'd like to do the supernice 5.1...I'm not anti-surround, I'm just anti-compromise...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif When I get the room that I can actually do treatments for, not just a tiny apartment, and actually afford to build 5 of the speakers I'd want, then I'd do a surround setup.

My thoughts exactly //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
What? I could definately see King Ranch trolling the AVS forum //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Some day I'd like to do the supernice 5.1...I'm not anti-surround, I'm just anti-compromise...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif When I get the room that I can actually do treatments for, not just a tiny apartment, and actually afford to build 5 of the speakers I'd want, then I'd do a surround setup.
I have the house.

The problem I have with building is homogeneity. I don't think I can produce 2 (or more) of something exactly alike. I did build my own sub and it was definitely worth it. More proud of that than most anything I have ever built. Even my friends says it's quite nice for being built by hand.

I am considering going 2.1 and upgrading as I can. Although then I get into brand issues. I'd hate to buy "x" and then it get discontinued then I am stuck....therefore incrementally doing this won't work.

I am considering going 2.1 and upgrading as I can. Although then I get into brand issues. I'd hate to buy "x" and then it get discontinued then I am stuck....therefore incrementally doing this won't work.
The thing about stereo is that it's already obsolete, so worrying about what latest HDMI-whatever will come in two months isn't needed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The thing about stereo is that it's already obsolete, so worrying about what latest HDMI-whatever will come in two months isn't needed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
....which is why ive been hesitant to buy an all-in-one decoder, reciever, hdmi switcher...blah blah blah, and just go 2 channel with some old school power behind them. Keep it simple stupid.

What I have found with Home Audio forums is they are very clique oriented.

AVS is annoying with all the HT Onkyo, Denon, Paradigm, Klipsch, HTIB etc etc guys.

Home Theater Shack, is meh on a lot of things and I really don't check their anymore.

DiyAudio is alright, if you can dig through all the bad ideas to find the good ones. It is a great place to ask if you have a specific circuit question or need knowledge about something very specific electronics related.

DIY Home Audio, I think I'm the only person that checks that forum.

CA.com Home Audio section, a bunch of yahoos asking about putting car amps in their house even though there have been a 1,000,000 threads on it already. Plus you ahve the hanyacks like Megalomaniac who just cause trouble. (BTW it takes 5 yahoos to equal 1 Hanyack; these are actual terms I use in daily life.) ((BTW J/K Megalo don't want you getting butt hurt or anything.)

Home Theater Guild (HTGuide) - If you don't like B&W, Classe, Rotel you probably should look for another forum. There are a lot of guys who like Emotiva, Parasound, and a few others. But, mainly that is a B&W forum with some nice DIY stuff also found there.

I could continue. Basically you should find a Magnepan forum, but I don't know of any. Maybe Jim does?

Why can't you just put a sub in a ported box and call it a home theater. Does a 15" sound as loud as in the room as it does in a car? Should I go 18" instead?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.