What is pre amp output voltage???

stay_high
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Florida
Needing a new head unit. Its between these two

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X396 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

JVC Arsenal KD-AHD79 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

The only difference i can find is that the JVC can change display colors, and and has 5 volt pre amp outs while the Kenwood only has four. There the same price so i was leaning towards the JVC. Is there a difference between 4 volt and 5 volt pre amp outs? Also i hear so many good things about those kenwood units but the JVC seems to be better as far as specs so which one should i get??

As of late, stick with JVC. The pre-amp voltage is the voltage in which goes across the RCA outputs. The higher the pre-amp voltage, the lower you can set gains on your amps, as they won't need to be as sensitive. Some say higher voltage is better, others say it's pretty much a wash. If you are talking 4 vs 5, it's not really a huge deal. Musically, you are going to be all over the spectrum any ways between 2-4v per channel at any given note.

i typically like Kenwood more than JVC, normally.

the JVC also boasts 24-bit DAC's.

the JVC has higher preout voltage which means you can achieve better signal-to-noise ratio if you use external amplifiers.

the Kenwood will work with musicApp for Android devices.

both do ipod connectivity.

both are good HU's. don't think you'll go wrong with either. i can't believe you get that much for $130.

the JVC has higher preout voltage which means you can achieve better signal-to-noise ratio if you use external amplifiers.

both are good HU's. don't think you'll go wrong with either. i can't believe you get that much for $130.
=] gotta love crutchfield. (plus a $30 dash install kit and wiringharness for free)!

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

oohh so apperantly the JVC doesnt have a HPF. Will i need one if i already have an amp on my door speakers, and an amp on my subs? I can just use the crossovers on those right?

hell i think my alpine with 2v outputs sounds as clear as my eclipse with 8v outs did so i think its more about having a good deal. Either one would be a great deck to you, ide go JVC. I also believe jvcs will charge ure usb device

Alright! im goin JVC. That kenwood looks clean as hell tho.... But you the whole changing color of buttons has won me over.... lol like the only thing that really sets this units apart...

Alright! im goin JVC. That kenwood looks clean as hell tho.... But you the whole changing color of buttons has won me over.... lol like the only thing that really sets this units apart...
just an FYI, this pioneer has all the same features except it has a 5band eq not 3. Im going pioneer for my new unit, these are suppose to be really nice too

Pioneer DEH-P7400HD Stereo Receiver w/HD Radio/iPod Control/Pandora | eBay

Im going with the deh-p9400bh, there about 180 online but WELL worth the extra 50bucks

=] gotta love crutchfield. (plus a $30 dash install kit and wiringharness for free)! 

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

oohh so apperantly the JVC doesnt have a HPF. Will i need one if i already have an amp on my door speakers, and an amp on my subs? I can just use the crossovers on those right?
You're good as long as you aren't using the internal amplifier.

hell i think my alpine with 2v outputs sounds as clear as my eclipse with 8v outs did so i think its more about having a good deal. Either one would be a great deck to you, ide go JVC. I also believe jvcs will charge ure usb device
That makes me feel better - my HU isn't installed yet, but it's got 2vs. I was worried. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Kenwood is made by JVC. They are practically the same thing. If you scroll through their menus, they have slightly different overlays but the options are almost the same, all the wording is the same. I bought a new kenwood deck a couple of months ago and the box & manual were labbelled JVCKenwood. The kenwood lasted less than a week before I took it back and got an Alpine.

The Kenwood also lists a 24-bit DAC, but it's hidden in the description.

If you're an iPod® or iPhone® user, you won't miss a note of your favorite songs. Just plug your player into the convenient front-panel USB input, and you'll enjoy outstanding control right from the receiver. When you're connected via USB, the KDC-X396 bypasses your iPod's internal digital-to-analog converter, sending the digital data to the Kenwood's superior 24-bit D/A converter. Your music will sound more natural and lifelike.
I'd go with the DEH-7400 that Josh linked you to(first choice), or the Kenwood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.