What is port noise?

wow....asking questions on here is like asking to be flamed at all cost......is it a "whistling...or whooshing sound?I am seeing "hair tricks" and trying to figure out why they aren't a lot of port noise.Next time before I ask a question to become more knowledgable I will make sure I know the answer so it doesnt have to be answered.

The sound of the air in/at the port.Usually caused by-

not enough port area

sharp edges and corners...
thank you,I understand what causes it...thats the reason for flared ports and using the correct diameter of port.Gonna be my sons first ported box we build and @$40 a sheet I am trying to be able to answer any question that may come up as we build the box.

wow....asking questions on here is like asking to be flamed at all cost......is it a "whistling...or whooshing sound?I am seeing "hair tricks" and trying to figure out why they aren't a lot of port noise.Next time before I ask a question to become more knowledgable I will make sure I know the answer so it doesnt have to be answered.
Hahaha sorry man I didnt mean to be a ****... But yes it is a whooshing sound a lot of times

When figuring the enclosure,do you also need to add for the area taken up by the port?As if it were a cyinder full of water,or just the mass of the port itself and not the air inside?

When figuring out air space for an enclosure you will need to know this....

Air space needed after all displacements(lets say 3ft3 for now)

driver displacements(lets say .15)

Port displacements(lets say 1.2ft3)

bracing/45s(lets say another .5)

That means you need 4.85ft3 before displacements...(this does not include wood displacements..if you using 3/4" then take off 1.5 for each height, width, and depth to correct that displacement)

These are not real numbers nor should they be used as such..just for educational purposes.

When figuring out air space for an enclosure you will need to know this....
Air space needed after all displacements(lets say 3ft3 for now)

driver displacements(lets say .15)

Port displacements(lets say 1.2ft3)

bracing/45s(lets say another .5)

That means you need 4.85ft3 before displacements...(this does not include wood displacements..if you using 3/4" then take off 1.5 for each height, width, and depth to correct that displacement)

These are not real numbers nor should they be used as such..just for educational purposes.
That is exactley what I am looking for.The port is (2) 4"x12.5" straight tube.Thats what is confusing me....I have the ports in front of me and they dont appear to rake up as much space physically as they do on paper.The ports are roughly .72685 cu ft.But as I said,when they are infront of me they dont take up anywhere near a cubic foot.What the he!! am I missing here.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.