What double DIN head unit to buy?

really? I heard ppl normally prefer steeper slopes for the midbass, but everyone is different
Well most time you can get away with the shallower slope at the mid/low end, but it's more difficult for the tweets, especially, what's available today in the car audio market. Most 2 way active front stage requires a large format tweeter, while it takes alot of mod to do that. So, a small format is used with a steeper slope. But all in all, it's subjective to the drivers chosen, and most take the easy way.

Well most time you can get away with the shallower slope at the mid/low end, but it's more difficult for the tweets, especially, what's available today in the car audio market. Most 2 way active front stage requires a large format tweeter, while it takes alot of mod to do that. So, a small format is used with a steeper slope. But all in all, it's subjective to the drivers chosen, and most take the easy way.
The way I see it is that on the lower end you need a steeper slope as the octaves get a lot closer together. An octave down from 80hz is 40hz, a lot closer than 4khz and 8khz. So when it's cut at 18db/slope it is much more beneficial (as I see it) at the lower end since it doesn't allow for overlapping of the mids and subs and sometimes the tweets and mids.

The way I see it is that on the lower end you need a steeper slope as the octaves get a lot closer together. An octave down from 80hz is 40hz, a lot closer than 4khz and 8khz. So when it's cut at 18db/slope it is much more beneficial (as I see it) at the lower end since it doesn't allow for overlapping of the mids and subs and sometimes the tweets and mids.
I see your point, makes sense.

The high end double DINs all have a full face that doesn't leave room for an exposed CD slot. For a budget of $400-500 I would just pair the head unit with a 4-channel amp that has a bandpass crossover built in. Most amps are going to limit that to a 12 dB/octave slope but it's not that big of a deal for a budget active setup. Many passive crossovers use a 12 dB slope.

edit: Factory XM radio is different from aftermarket. An "XM Ready" receiver will have a separate box required to get XM radio working. A new antenna is provided. Sometimes you can stick the antenna to the top of the radio and it will get signal through the dash and the windshield. The best reception comes from putting the antenna on the roof.

The 2012 Pioneer AVH-P3400BH has most of the features you want. The new model replacing that is the AVH-X3500BHS. I don't know if it's shipping yet.

The SD card slot is nothing i care about. I have 16g of music on my phone so i don't really need it or want to mess with loading more music onto something else.
FYI, the SD is for the Navigation. I am not sure though, if you could take it out and put in one with music and it play??????

The high end double DINs all have a full face that doesn't leave room for an exposed CD slot. For a budget of $400-500 I would just pair the head unit with a 4-channel amp that has a bandpass crossover built in. Most amps are going to limit that to a 12 dB/octave slope but it's not that big of a deal for a budget active setup. Many passive crossovers use a 12 dB slope.
edit: Factory XM radio is different from aftermarket. An "XM Ready" receiver will have a separate box required to get XM radio working. A new antenna is provided. Sometimes you can stick the antenna to the top of the radio and it will get signal through the dash and the windshield. The best reception comes from putting the antenna on the roof.

The 2012 Pioneer AVH-P3400BH has most of the features you want. The new model replacing that is the AVH-X3500BHS. I don't know if it's shipping yet.

So, is it not possible to use the factory XM antenna? Seems like there would be an adapter to make it work.

I have realized that getting a deck that allows me to run a active system is not happening and i am fine with that. I just thought that if i was going to buy a deck i should try to get all that appeal to me.

Does the pioneer AVH-P3400BH have a good pandora app?

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.