what does "0.08% THD" mean?

Participant count
  • Participant list

billy98sport
10+ year member

the bang of the small one
doesnt it have something to do with distortion? i got that from an alpine amp stat page.... im lookin for an amp for my highs and mids... im a musician so i have a very sensitive ear and can pick up the slightest distortion... i want NONE? what should i look for?

thanks

billy

The amount of undesirable harmonics present in an output audio signal expressed as a precentage. The lower the percentage the better.
Plug in an Alpine amp, and then plug in the comparable Crossfire...you really shouldnt be able to notice a difference in sound quality at all - the levels are so low.

- Steve

Also, THD is usually taken at around 1kHz. In fact, THD is dynamic and unless there is a graphical representation of the THD function for the particular amp then the rating is for less than .01% of the audible spectrum.

I don't think I have looked at the THD spec on any amp I have purchased in about 10 years(and it has been longer since I compared s/n ratios on decks;)

I run JL Audio amps and love them(i have no idea what their thd spec is though).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.