what does it take to get 150dB @ 25Hz?

I have my 10"er tuned at 28hz, and it plays cymbals just fine(with no crossover applied). //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif The lower tuning is for a smoother response, no big peak and then a drop-off below tuning. I'd rather be quieter and be within 1-2db from 25-80hz than be loud and have a 6-9db difference from 50hz to 30hz. Not to mention a lower tuning keeps the group delay bump further away from where the kick-drum and the majority of bass guitar is, so rock music seems to be more accurate to my ears. Couple all of that with knowing that you're not going to bottom out your sub due to low notes in songs(some amps don't have a SSF), and I don't see how people who actually like listening to music can't tune low.

Whats this obsession with low tuning??? It's not loud, and all it does is destroy shit in the vehicle???? I have yet to see anyone bail out of a low tuned vehicle, but have seen a couple people throw up. While sitting in a vehicle tuned to 38hz.......Just my opinion, save the low tuning for home theater.......
I am obsessed with low tuning because it is what i enjoy. I am not out to be the loudest, I am not out to destroy **** though i do, I am not out to get anyone to bail though they do. My HT is tuned to 14Hz, reaches down to 5Hz, and I can do a FUL EXCURSION PURE SINE WAVE at 10Hz for 10 minutes while it destroys my house.

There is a compromise. What music besides chopped and screwed and dubstep etc is below 30hz? Almost none.... and it forces you to make your bandwidth so narrow you almost can't play music. Look Mr_singh. His bandwidth is falling off after 20cycles(20-40hz)? LOL my street box plays from 32hz to 70hz and doesn't drop below 143 at any freq and peaks at 153. This is sealed at the dash db drag style. Upgrades this season should increase that a bit, but who knows how much.
Exactly. Every time you drop in Hz there is an exponential or logarythmic drop in SPL. Plot any sub with a 30Hz tune, 25Hz, 20Hz, and 15Hz... of course 30Hz to 15Hz is one octave....

Only one onehundreth of one percent of music drops below 30Hz on a regular basis (most modern music has tiny little bits of subsonics that are not going to show up on Audacity or any other spectral software as it is masked by the rest of the content, and you guys without the super low bottom end reinforcement arent going to notice it cuz the rest of the content will be so much louder while listening it will get masked..even if you run sealed) but that one thousandth of a percent is what I LOVE :p

I agree, which is why I do not understand why someone would want to tune that low. Deff makes for a 1 dimensional system...
My subs go up to 80Hz easily. Even with my low tuning, huge volume favoring the low end, and massive cabin gain, I still have a flat enough smooth enough responce and I hit 30Hz-80Hz much louder than I ever need it to. I ran my LP at 31Hz guys, cuz the 30Hz on up was too much for my taste.

I agree, which is why I do not understand why someone would want to tune that low. Deff makes for a 1 dimensional system...
let me re-try

one dimentional? I have extremely exaggerated bottom end, extremely exaggerated midbass, and extremely exaggerated high end. No one else has an intentionally over bright system like mine.

My FR125S tweeters are XBL^2, solid to 16kHz, good to 20kHz, can easily run 250Hz-16Hz off 100 watts with ease. yet I run them 710Hz-14kHz with 30dB slopes off a KX650.4. I was running them off a KX350.4 bridged and they got warm. Not from over power, but from clipping. A 350.4 that runs most peoples front stage and rear fill couldnt keep up. I swapped to a 650.4, they are twice as loud, and never get warm now.

I have four Vifa XT25TG30 1" ring radiator tweets that everyone runs 3kHz-20kHz. I run them from 14k-20k, a very tiny bandwidth. So tiny I had to add a line driver to boost that tiny little bandwidth. I hate 3kz-14kz at high levels, but I cant get enough 16k on up. I had a KX200.2 on them and it clipped and the 30dB slope wasnt enough at the loud levels I listen. I swapped it for an SX500.2 that runs most peoples subwoofers, now I have a 66dB slope at 14k and they take all of it. Sure some people have 12 tweets, I only have 4, but they arent crossed at 14k with 500 watts.

I have 1700 RMS running four 7"ers in tiny sealed enclosures, 80Hz-710Hz. It hurts when i crank it. You feel it like you feel subs.

I am tuned to 22Hz and sometimes have my LP set to 31Hz and still have enough 30Hz-80Hz to match up with the 1700 watts of 80Hz-710Hz.

I am as dynamic as it gets.

I have my 10"er tuned at 28hz, and it plays cymbals just fine(with no crossover applied). //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif The lower tuning is for a smoother response, no big peak and then a drop-off below tuning. I'd rather be quieter and be within 1-2db from 25-80hz than be loud and have a 6-9db difference from 50hz to 30hz. Not to mention a lower tuning keeps the group delay bump further away from where the kick-drum and the majority of bass guitar is, so rock music seems to be more accurate to my ears. Couple all of that with knowing that you're not going to bottom out your sub due to low notes in songs(some amps don't have a SSF), and I don't see how people who actually like listening to music can't tune low.
Youve got it. IDK about cymbols through a 10"er, Adire Audio/Steve Kephart did a video of a Brahma 10" doing full range to demonstrate XBL^2 and its ability to play so high with nice inductance, so i guess so! But ya you got it, just cuz only 1/2 a percent of music gets that low, the port still helps up higher, but you dont have 90% of your output relying on the port adding port compression, impedance rise, group delay, etc etc... and when that tiny bit does get that low... you get a sweet surprise!

How much you drop from outlaw to legal metering is completely situational. I've personally never seen anyone drop 5db, let alone 8db. I know CRX's and S10's drop pretty bad, but I've mostly heard/seen 3-4db depending on install. I only dropped 2db in my truck...got a 151 flat outlaw and 149 flat legal out of a single sub and 1500 watts. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Not calling ecrack a liar, I've just never seen or heard of it happen before.
With the single 10" setup I drop 7 dB outlaw to sealed on the dash. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

With the single 10" setup I drop 7 dB outlaw to sealed on the dash. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
Mini trucks don't count! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.