What does everyone think of this system (sorta n00bish)

rollininstyle04
10+ year member

Im just a n00b
Okay here is the deal, this is going to be my FIRST system. I know the basics of car audio, but im by no means an expert so please bare with me. Ive tried to do some research and read around before i posted this, so i wont sound like a complete n00b. This is what i have come up with so far:

Car - VW Passat

HU - Alpine CDA-9827 (the only part of the system i already have)

Front - Infinity Kappa 60.5cs

Rear - Infinity Kappa 62.5i

Speaker Amp - JBL GTO 75.4

Subs - Image Dynamics IDQ12 D2 V.2 x2

Sub Amp JBL GTO 1201.1

So what does everyone think about this setup? Feel free to make any suggestions.

TIA //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/clap.gif.178cba2c538c68e720c727fcb024b19c.gif

-Jordan

EDIT: IDQs changed to dual 2 ohms instead of dual 4

Before everyone gives you their opinion on whats "better than that", I would like to say that it looks like a good solid daily listener. Good sq subs, decent mids and highs. It should sound great. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/toast.gif.bc0657bf54b9ee653b6438524461341e.gif

That's a little like my system. Sounds great, incredibly loud, but if I did it again I don't think i'd get Kappas, but their good for the price. They are definitely really loud, but the tweets are a little too loud I think, a little harsh, and they don't really play under 100hz much at all, but the IDQs should sound good crossed over pretty high. If you get the Kappa components in the front, I would recommend a dedicated set of mid-bass drivers instead of the Kappas in the rear. The Kappas sound great with some EQ, and will make you deaf.

I'm getting rid of the 6x9s in the rear, and just bought an Image Dynamics ID8 V3 to use for a mid-bass driver. Hooked it up today, sounds great but I don't have the crossover yet to run in as mid-bass.

Good system.

Thanx for the comments everyone they have been very helpful, keep them coming.

diplexers: yea i am just planning on having a good daily listener. I wont be competeing. I will be showing the car, so ill probably have a nice looking install, but the main purpose of the system is just for my daily listening.

ShakinSupra: I know that the speakers make up most of what i hear so i definately want to make sure i get some good ones. What else would you reccomend other than the Kappas. I was looking at the MB Quart PSD216 they look pretty comprible in price to the Kappa 60.5cs would thoose be a better option? I actually know someone selling 2 sets of the PSD216s would that be better to run a set of components for the front and back. If i decide not to buy the 2 sets of the PSDs, I figure components for the front and coaxials in the back since most of the stuff i hear comes from the front anyways, then the rear would just be for filler. If i got a cheaper set of components for the back the rear tweeter on the driver side rear is actually closer to my ear than the front one so that wouldnt be worth it IMO.

yamaha: thanks

All comments are welcome

TIA

-Jordan

In actuallity, the Kappas are really nice speakers for the price and would probably be a good choice. The only real complaint that I have is they don't really play too low, so there was a gap between my sub and 6 1/2s, in the 100hz area. My mids / treble are definitely louder and sound better than anyone in my town, I'm just picky, if I were to do it again, I would probably spend a lot more...

The harshness of the tweeter is all personal preference. Metal dome tweeters are going to be much brighter and harsher than silk, I think a I would personally prefer and silk set. I just turn the treble down on my HU -2 or -3 and they sound better. A lot of people like the really bright treble.

The Kappas would sound awesome with a dedicated set of mid-bass speakers to go with them. You could probably put them in the rear without throwing off your front stage too much, but they would sound best next to the midrange of the component. I'll see if the ID8 will work for mid-bass today...

You may want to listen to some different sets before you decide. MB Quart speakers all have metal dome tweeters, and I've heard that they're real bright and harsh. CDTs silk dome tweeters are supposed to sound really nice, and they have them pretty cheap at the Zeb, but I don't know about their low end, I've never heard them personally. Focal and Diamond make really nice sounding speakers, also $$$. Listen around, and see what you like best.

How did everyone overlook the biggest problem with this set-up ?
Dual 4 ohm subs

JBL GTO1201.1

Let's see, can be wired to 1 or 4 ohms ...

GTO1201.1 produces 1115 watts @ 2 ohms and 790 watts @ 4 ohms ... It's NOT 1 ohm stable ...
I don't mess around with JBL. Therefore I wouldn't even know what its stable at.

How did everyone overlook the biggest problem with this set-up ?
Dual 4 ohm subs

JBL GTO1201.1

Let's see, can be wired to 1 or 4 ohms ...

GTO1201.1 produces 1115 watts @ 2 ohms and 790 watts @ 4 ohms ... It's NOT 1 ohm stable ...
Okay, here is where my newbish-ness comes out. How should i fix this problem. If i got the Dual 2 ohm IDQs instead of the Dual 4 i had listed then could i wire them with the amp at 2 ohms???

I dont know if that made sense //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Help me out Jmac

TIA

-Jordan

Yes get dual 2-ohm IDQs, then you can wire both into a final 2-ohm load.

btw. The ID8 is working as a mid-bass driver for now, sounds awesome, fills in the gap between the 12" and my 6 1/2" components great, hopefully it will be able to take 200wrms for a while.

Okay, so the dual 2 ohms it is.

Everything else seem good???

Should i get a set of midranges instead of coaxials in the back???

Id like to keep them in the stock locations so i would need 6.5'', correct???

What about the Image Dynamics CX2 or CX4, im confused as to how i would wire thoose could i still use the GTO 75.4 if i had the Kappa comps in the front and ID Mids in the back???

Sorry for all the questions

TIA

-Jordan

Advice, if you plan on installin that by your self, plan to set aside 2-3 days. From experience, it *****! Like really bad *****. I got to the point while doing mine that I wanted to set my car on fire and roll it off a cliff, I even questioned my self about why I even started this crap.

But in the end you will be happy. Components in the front are a must IMO, as for the rear doors you can get away with just installing a mid in place of the factory one, you are gonna have to get a LP filter on it though.

Gotta drill out the rivets that hold on stock speakers, and the front doors need at leat 3/4" spacer rings depending on speaker depth.

Hope this helps, got any more questions just ask

BTW that sounds like a good setup you got in the works

great choice on the subs and amp, although the components are not something i would choose. I would go with one really nice component set up front and leave the rear empty instead of two sets of decent components.

bass_lover, i read your stuff on CB5. Its going to be professionally installed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Bavarian, what would you suggest as a good set for the front instead of the Kappas???

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.