What do I need?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Lakota
5,000+ posts

Doesn't Know $hit
I have a Kicker KX850.2 and a US Amps USA-100. To run both of these, what size power wire will I need (2awg?)? Would this be a good fuse block for both of them, here ? What size fuses will I need for the fuse block and fuse holder to handle both amps? If I'm not clear or left something out, let me know. Thanks.

Sup lets start with wire size, what are your amps fused at, that will tell you what size power wire (4 awg will be ok) use a fused pdb at your amps in that way each amp will have it's own fuse. i take it you're sub amp is the Kicker? is the US amp a 4 ch.?

pm me we'll get you hooked up

You could get away with 4awg, yes. But if you plan to upgrade to anything larger in the future, you might as well run 1/0 now.

The distro block you listed is not a good choice for you. Find a FUSED distro block and get that instead. To figure out the size of fuses you need.. is easy. If you end up going with 4awg, the main fuse should be no more or less than the capacity that the wire can handle. so for 4awg the suggested fusing point is 150A. For the distro fuses, I would assume you're splitting the 4awg to two 8awg lines (I would still go with 1/0awg), fuse each split at 80A.

The "adding up the fuses on the amps" is totally the wrong way to fuse. You fuse to protect the wire from bursting into flames should a short occur. Most amps pull far more than the rated outside fuses anyway at full bore. So the adding method would be completely useless.

I've decided to go with 1/0 for the power wire. I need help picking out a fuse block for the amps and fuse size. I already have some 8awg and 4awg wire.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.