What do I need to wire these voice coils?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Justinw303
10+ year member

[Space for Rent]
Alright, I have two DVC 4 ohms RE10's from RE. I want to wire them together in series parallel to deliver a 4 ohm load to a bridged 2-channel amp.

My first question is, when I look at the voice coals on the RE10, I see that there are two prongs for the positive and two prongs for the negative of each coil. They are set up in a 90 degreee angle, and are the same size. Why? Is it just there to be convienient? Am I only supposed to use one prong?

Now, my second question is, what am I going to use to wire each sub in series? From the looks of it I would need a very short speaker wire with a connector at each end, but I've never seen one before.

So, what's a guy to do?

If there are two prongs for the same voice coil, then you can use both of them. I'm guessing this doesnt have spring loaded terminals? Just the spade style ones? I would just make yourself some jumpers with some short wire and some Kleins...

If there are two prongs for the same voice coil, then you can use both of them. I'm guessing this doesnt have spring loaded terminals? Just the spade style ones? I would just make yourself some jumpers with some short wire and some Kleins...
Yep, spades/prongs... What are Kleins?

Crimp tools... Just get some crimps and some connectors and go to town! Just do amp to + on VC1 and amp to - on VC2, and then jump VC1- to VC2+ on both of the woofers, then just match the + and - of the wires off of both woofers together...

Crimp tools... Just get some crimps and some connectors and go to town! QUOTE]
Where can I get the spade connectors? And can I crimp a connector to a wire? I'm sorry for being so difficult, but I need a little more info on this problem.

Check eBay, and if not there, any hardware store should have them. I am soo happy to see this question though, when I first got my Tempest I was so confused as to why they were like this, then I realized, that in order to do a nice and neat wiring job, I would need them. Twas one of them "Ohhhhhhhhhhhh" moments when you feel like such a dumbass.

Now, to answer your question, yes you can crimp a connector to a wire. If you do not already know, the connector will have a small tubular portion that the wire slides in (the connectors are specified for certain size wires //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif). You slide the uninsulated wire into the tubular portion and then with the crimping tool, smash it together. If you have the tool, you should be able to tell how it works. If you are confused still, I can make a lil video for ya when I get home :p

Check eBay, and if not there, any hardware store should have them. I am soo happy to see this question though, when I first got my Tempest I was so confused as to why they were like this, then I realized, that in order to do a nice and neat wiring job, I would need them. Twas one of them "Ohhhhhhhhhhhh" moments when you feel like such a dumbass.
Now, to answer your question, yes you can crimp a connector to a wire. If you do not already know, the connector will have a small tubular portion that the wire slides in (the connectors are specified for certain size wires //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif). You slide the uninsulated wire into the tubular portion and then with the crimping tool, smash it together. If you have the tool, you should be able to tell how it works. If you are confused still, I can make a lil video for ya when I get home :p
Lol, cool. So I can find these wiring connectors at a hardware store? The way you described it sounds each.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.