what do i need to upgrade

zyklonb
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
new york
i am going to be putting in an RD audio 1750.1 to power an hdc15. right now i have 2 gauge power wire and 12 gauge speaker wire, stock battery under the hood. this is the only amp in my car(05' cobalt)

i have an optima redtop thati will be putting in the back or under the hood this weekend but i havnt decided where to put it.

so what do i need to upgrade to get this thing realy hitting hard....(on a budget)

isnt that batt in the back for a coblat? so put it back there
yes the battery is in the back. i meant should i replace the stock battery first and put the redtop there or wire it as my second battery?

First off, do not buy a Redtop for an audio system. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif

Secondly, simply replace the stock battery with the biggest battery that will fit in the stock location. Brands like Kinetik, Deka, Odyssey, Hawker, XS Power, and Stinger to name a few will be much better suited for car audio applications. They are true deep cycle batteries, unlike the Optima batteries.

First off, do not buy a Redtop for an audio system. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif
Secondly, simply replace the stock battery with the biggest battery that will fit in the stock location. Brands like Kinetik, Deka, Odyssey, Hawker, XS Power, and Stinger to name a few will be much better suited for car audio applications. They are true deep cycle batteries, unlike the Optima batteries.
i dont have the money to buy another battery. i got the optima for free and still reads 14.4 volts so i took it. thats the reason im putting it in for right now it will not be a permanent thing.

Your optima reads 14.4?

ha???//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif:confused://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif:confused:never seen a optima sit at 14.4

i dont have the money to buy another battery. i got the optima for free and still reads 14.4 volts so i took it. thats the reason im putting it in for right now it will not be a permanent thing.
If that Redtop is resting at 14.4V it has been severely overcharged and is for sure a gonner. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

first off ditch the 12awg speaker wire and get 8awg.

i'd sell the red top on craiglist asap, get like $70 for it. Investment in a better battery is a must for you. my XS d3100 works wonders even with my cobalt stock alty. they tend to be slightly pricer but IMO they are well worth it. next step would be to upgrade to 1/0 wire.

with some relatively affordable upgrades to your electrical you can get the full potential out of that amp and you will definitely hear the difference. Bass will be slightly louder and cleaner. Your stock battery should be in the trunk. replace it with a big ass battery, and make sure the battery is secure down there. cant have anything sliding around.

also get some ca glue or other very strong adhesive and strengthen the points where your center brake light housing clips to the trunk. within 6 months the plastic joints were completely ripped apart and the light housing fell back into my trunk.

I agree with ditching the Redtop for a better battery. I also agree that you should look for a G31 battery. There are many good brands out there and you would be hard to go wrong with any of the models below:

Kinetik HC2400

Deka 9A31

Odyssey PC2150

XS D3100

Stinger SP2150

sell the redtop then buy something else that fits in the stock location (like my hc1400 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif). Everything else should be okay since the batt is in the back.

get the big 3 done and 1/0 guage when you have the chance, personaly i would go with the deka's thats what i have and i love it. run a pos and neg. chevys have bad grounding when u use the body....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.