What depth sub in this enclosure

Participant count
  • Participant list

gettheledout
10+ year member

I have a small sealed enclosure with a 9" opening and 0.5 cu ft volume. I am concerned because to top edge starts to slant back immediately. I do not know how to measure depth of the enclosure because I don't know the diameter of a magnet on a 10" shallow subwoofer. If I measure a inch or so in from the cutout, I get about 4" of depth but it's hard to know if I am measuring perpendicular to the opening when the back is slanted. Should I just reverse mount with the basket out so I can get as deep of a basket as I want? I have included pics for reference

Thanks!View attachment 26539883View attachment 26539884

It depends on the driver really. Motor diameter and certain baskets' depth will indeed be different between models like I'm sure you have gathered.

Some simple math will tell you the depth of a given height along the baffle BTW. Just need the dimension of the enclosure, especially the interior dimensions, or the baffle thickness with the outer dimensions.

Personally, I would just quickly build a decent enclosure. If you do not care about its appearance or perhaps would even like to invert the driver that's fine, but it defeats the purpose of your shallow mount woofer... Well, sorta kinda... Hehe //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Oh, and depending on which shallow mount driver you are looking at, it could be just fine. What are you choosing to run?

This is going in the trunk of a roadster with a very small trunk so I figure if I invert the driver, that space in front of the face of the subwoofer wouldn't be very usable for luggage anyway. I was thinking of running a Sundown SD-10 or SA-10 at 4 ohms.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.