What defines a subwoofer's SQ and SPL?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mikey_Rocks_
10+ year member

I've read that the DD 3500 poops on the JL W7 in SPL but gets pooped on in sound quality. I just don't understand how a sub can have poopy SQ but amazing SPL. Isn't the point of a subwoofer to move as much air as possible. (More air moved=louder) i thought like doir speakers are the only thing tgat really matter for SQ and that you'd want as much SPL as possible. Also where is the best place to buy DD 3500's? I can't seem to find a dealer for them

It is far easier to make your audio loud then it is to have it "sound good" while doing it. The real question to ask is more of... "What is SQ?" For each person it is vastly different what that term means to them. In the end, 99% of most mobile electronic owners have no idea what SQ is or means. They just want it loud.

As for DD, send them an email or give them a call. They will find a dealer near you to purchase from or you can buy at MSRP from them.

How much air a sub can displace is only a small part of it. You have to also keep in mind the box design can be a large determining factor in how a sub performs.

Look into things like moving mass, flux modulation... Actually, just start reading about the aspects of Klippel testing and it's related items and parameters.

You want the speaker to play a note without adding anything that isn't in the recording. To judge this you have to listen to real instruments and then listen to a recording of real instruments, not synthesized bass. With subwoofers I've noticed that you'll hear differences in the definition of strings on a bass guitar, or the double kick pedal drums that can give your speakers a hard time. To my understanding, a lot of this comes from the motor. You want a motor with good control over the cone, so when the note stops the cone stops. Also, a design that aims to reduce distortion should sound better when pushed hard.

Two very technologically advanced subwoofer designs are the JL W7 and the JBL GTI series. They both make for very interesting products to study if you want to find some buzz words to learn.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.