What can i do to keep surround from rotting?

JoshC
10+ year member

The Taco MASTA
Houston, tx
Had some crap get into my box this week so i had to pull the sub to get it out. I noticed that if i rubbed my fingers on the surround a bit of it would come up. Not alot just tiny bits would ball up, is there anything i can put on it to keep it from progressing? Subs around 2 years old but still beats like a champ. Its an OA 12

LOL. Welcome to the world of Chinese parts and the race to zero. Sadly nobody will pay what it costs to build a good woofer out of quality parts so play it til it breaks and buy a recone.

Once it gets really thin or starts getting holes in it you can get a little more life out of it by reinforcing with gorilla tape or just painting it with rubber cement.

LOL. Welcome to the world of Chinese parts and the race to zero. Sadly nobody will pay what it costs to build a good woofer out of quality parts so play it til it breaks and buy a recone.
Once it gets really thin or starts getting holes in it you can get a little more life out of it by reinforcing with gorilla tape or just painting it with rubber cement.
Lol im not that cheap, guess ill just recone it when the time comes. Thanks for the reply

you can use a neoprene rubber cement that is thin and paints on. i just had to do that to some subs from 1996 (yes, i've had them that long). it painted on easily and should prolong their life.

surrounds failing after 15-20 years is acceptable. after 2 is B.S.

you can use a neoprene rubber cement that is thin and paints on. i just had to do that to some subs from 1996 (yes, i've had them that long). it painted on easily and should prolong their life.

Yea its disappointing, but there just barley starting to and they have been threw 2 100 degree plus summers. But its only a $140 sub and it does sound great still after 2 years of 1000wrms

Yea its disappointing, but there just barley starting to and they have been threw 2 100 degree plus summers. But its only a $140 sub and it does sound great still after 2 years of 1000wrms
Race to zero. The same tier sub built in USA with American parts would MSRP over 400$.... then again it would likely still function in 20 years.

tanks for tip I have a ton of new old stock Polk stuff and I'm finding alot of issues with dry old glue and surround rot.

instead of a whole recone kit, you can look for a refoam rubber surround kit instead and shave off a few bucks on the cost, unless you want the stiff suspension and all that. I would look into getting something from corey at SPL audio, he probably has some parts that will last pretty long that he can sell you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.