What amp should I use with a Focal 46" Subwoofer?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have Focal Utopia 3 way speakers from 12-14 years ago. So I want to go with a Focal Subwoofer. I'm thinking the Focal K2 46 KX (100 to 1000 watts RMS. 2000 Max). I'm just thinking using this one cuz it's the biggest. I have a Macintosh amp for the 3 ways & wanted to use a Macintosh for the Sub. But does a Macintosh amp put out enough power? From the ones I've seen they don't. So what's a top of the line amp I can run my sub with? Thanks Bill

it mostly depends on the enclosure and output expectations. a huge enclosure will be more efficient and require less power.

this is the sub, correct?

Focal K2 Power™ 46 KX 4 18" subwoofer with four 1-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com

it's 18", not nearly the biggest sub available. with four 1 ohm coils they can be wired in series for a 4 ohm mono load that a Mac amp could run (bridged) but it will be hard to find that much power. or you can series/parallel for a 1 ohm load that most sub amps can drive. if it were me, an Audison LRx 1.1k would be my choice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.