What amp do I need for these subs?

Participant count
  • Participant list

OvOHaak

Hey everyone, first off I'm really new to this and I'm just looking for some basic information.

Long story short.. I received 2 subs, (12in Alpine SWS-1240D) they're both very old but they were free and they're already in a box.

The previous owner told me they're both:

200 Watt RMS, 600 watt Peak

Dual voice coil

4 impedance.

I'm super this to this and I'm looking to get my products off amazon because I have a $350 amazon gift card.

My questions are basically:

1. How many watts should the amp put out? I've had some people tell me, 400, 500, 600, I have no idea..

2. How many channels should the amp have? I am literally clueless with this one. 2? 4? 6? What even are those :/

3. What do I need to make sure I get in a wiring kit?

4. Any tips/anything I'm missing?

Thanks a TON to anyone who takes the time to help me out, I'm trying to make an order today :)

Well first off you should know that the important bits to subwoofers and amps is the rms watt rating, not the peak. So when you are looking for an amp, look at the rms. Also if you have two subs, your amp will split the watts between each sub. So yes 4-600 is a good range of watts, but remember that companies overrate their products, especially poor brands, so 500 watts rms may actually be only about 300 or even less. Also, you have 2 subwoofers so you need no more then 2 channels. The tricky part is ohms. And it is very difficult to explain. Try to do some research about dual voice coils and bridging an amp. They are better at explaining the wiring. Try to get at least a 2 ohm stable amp. Best case scenario would be a class d amp. They run longer easier. Class d amps are made for subs but can be a bit more spendy. This is a lot of information and I don't expect you to understand it all but do some reading only before you go shopping. Also, wiring kits should include a power cable, ground cable, rem cord, and rcas or "red and white" cords. Also, do you have an aftermarket stereo deck? You may want someone knowledgeable to help you install your first subs

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.