What advantages does 2- 10"s have over 1- 12" sub?

1 12,, is not as loud as 2 10's in theory,,, ,, it all depends on what sub you are purchasing,,

i mean you can get 2 shitty 10's and a super nice 12'' of course the 12 will get louder..

but 2 nice 10's compared to 1 nice 12,, the 10's will be louder, and sound better... no arguements...

With the 10's you have more cone area, but you gotta remember you have to deal with woofer displacement, cost, powering the 2 etc.

1 12,, is not as loud as 2 10's in theory,,, ,, it all depends on what sub you are purchasing,,
i mean you can get 2 shitty 10's and a super nice 12'' of course the 12 will get louder..

but 2 nice 10's compared to 1 nice 12,, the 10's will be louder, and sound better... no arguements...
the 10s wouldnt in any way sound nicer than the 12, assuming they were the same sub in different sizes, they will have the same SQ and the 12 will get lower, the 10 will not be able to hit as low frequencies. I would go with 15 if you could but otherwise a 12 for the same price as 2 10's would definatly be the better choice.

well .... assuming you arent gonna be putting an arseload of power to w/e setup you get, you might have better luck running 2 10s. amps are 1-2ohm stable so a signle 4ohm 12 wouldnt do you much on a mono amp, even a 2 channel you only get 2ohms. might be easier to run the 10s

they would get louder as well, about the only thing you lose out on is space, which in turn would give you a better sound anyways, and its not like 2 10s take up a TON of room. i just sold 4 12s to my friend with a hatchback crx and ill be gettign 2 or 3 15s for my car .... so 2 10s ... dont worry youll have plenty of room

edit: i also like the idea of a single 15. 10 to 12 isnt really that big of a difference. a 15 however is quite different. id consider 2 10s or 1 15 opposed to 1 12.

I 've found 2 10's are better for Rock music as opposed to a single twelve....thats about it- I prefer the low's better on a single 12 though
a 15 will usually have the same transient response as its 10 inch little brother, it might just sound worst becasue it is trying to play more frequencies than your 10 was even able to play. With a high pass filter it is possible to make it sound very similar to the 10, but as you mentioned most people like the lows

the 10s wouldnt in any way sound nicer than the 12, assuming they were the same sub in different sizes
That may not be true. Assuming the 10s had more displacement, and combined had more excursion then the single 12, then the 10s would "sound nice" because they would be able to play at the same volume level as the single 12 with less effort (and hence less distortion).

Assuming the 10 and 15 are set at the same xover points/slopes, the 15 wont 'try' to play any more material than the 10. It will simply play the lower freqs with more authority due to more cone area.

Two 10's will have 157 sq inches of cone area.

One 12 will have 113 sq inches of cone area.

These numbers are generic for a circle of that diameter. The speakers will likely have slightly less, to take into account for the surround, but the relation between the two setups should remain the same. As you can see, a pair of 10's would have almost 30% more cone area over the single 12. Taking this into account, the 10's will in fact 'play lower' (have more authority). The downside? Two motors to push, needing more amp.

umm distortion increases in ANY AND EVERY sub as throw increases.
That's the beauty of XBL^2 and other BL optimized (W7) subs tho, this increase is much less than standard drivers. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smokin.gif.f1dc8d2acb1809e863ebd6a47eaa0d45.gif

That's the beauty of XBL^2 and other BL optimized (W7) subs tho, this increase is much less than standard drivers. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smokin.gif.f1dc8d2acb1809e863ebd6a47eaa0d45.gif
Who cares its still there! A W7 has ALOT more distortion at full excursion than al half, as with the Brahma, XXX, Koda.... audibly!

Who cares if its -much- less distortion than a standard driver? I do. *shrug*

From the numbers Ive read, an XBL^2 setup will increase from approx 3% distortion at half volume, to 7% at full wang. A 'normal' driver is somewhere around 30% (depending on the driver of course). This is a significant decrease in distortion, and the gap widens between the two driver types as cone travel increases. 7% is very little, I doubt all by the best trained ears would even hear it. You have -much- more potential for distortion than 7% from any other component in your signal chain.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.