Weird wiring question

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mysphyt

I'm new to car audio, but I'm fairly experienced with electronics, soldering, etc., so I'm comfortable that I can do what I'm about to suggest. What I need to know is whether it's possible, and how I could do it. For that, I turn to you, who know way more than me about this stuff.

About six months ago, I got m'self a new system, including an Alpine CDM-7874 head unit. If I'd been able to see into the future, I'd have bought a head unit with a 3.5mm (1/8") line in jack, because I now have an MP3 player that I'd like to be able to play through my stereo. Alas, I wasn't quite so psychic as I'd like. And I very much don't want to have to buy a new head unit, so that's right out now. I'm stuck with what I have.

I'm looking for a solution that doesn't require a lot of money--and by "not a lot" I mean "not a lot from the perspective of a starving college student," which rules out an FM Modulator, if I can avoid it.

The 7874 has a V-Link M-Bus connector on the back to allow for CD changer connectivity. The connector, by all appearances and info I can find online, is an 8-Pin DIN connector. So here's what I'm thinking: would it be possible to track down a pinout for the M-Bus, figure out which pins correspond to left and right channel audio, and make a connector that just connects those pins to the left and right channels on a 3.5mm jack? If so, does anyone know where I could find the pinout for this? What haven't I thought of? Like I said, I'm new to this stuff, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.