Weird system issues...

djhath

A couple weeks ago, I started to experience some weird issues with my system. The system comprised of my factory head unit, an Alpine MRP-F240 to power the front and rear speakers, and a Kenwood KAC 8105D to power my subs. My vehicle is a 2006 Saturn VUE.

The problem started when all of a sudden a couple weeks ago, I would turn the volume up on the head unit beyond low listening volume to a normal listening volume, the sound would start to crackle and the intensity of the crackling would increase as the volume turned up though the actual volume stayed the same (what was coming out of the speakers didn't actually get louder).

My gut thought was the factory head unit was becoming problematic since every so often it'd have issues reading CDs and the steering wheel controls didn't always operate correctly (ex: when I'd hit the volume-up button, it'd turn the volume down).

So, I replaced it with a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597 deck. Upon installing it, the same thing happened, start putting out crackling sound, and then didn't put out any sound at all. After turning the gains up on the existing amps, it started to sound normal without anything crackling, which I thought was simply an effect of having a different deck with a different voltage output. However, not long after as I started to tune it to get the levels right, the crackling effect in the sound came back and now we're back to no sound.

Now seeing the problem with multiple head units, I think it's the amp, and replace the amp with a new Alpine MRP-F300. No sound, at all (with gains turned all the way up). The head unit and amps themselves are all getting power, but there's no sound output at all.

The system was installed when I first got my car back in 2006 and had stayed untouched for about 6 years until my sub amp showed signs of age (channel was cutting in and out). I swapped that out in early 2012 and it was fine ever since. Now, the problem that I described has manifested itself and I'm at a loss as to what could be going on.

Any ideas??

I'd suspect the gain pot on the amp is faulty because when you turn it the crackling problem is either better or worse (depending where on the dial that gain is set). I also work a lot of live sound/pro audio gigs and this happens a lot with mixing boards and any equipment that has a potentiometer on it, such as the gain on your amp. When this happens in a live setting we typically turn the equipment off and work the pot back and forth a few times all the way up and down. Sometimes this will clear it if it is a dirt or dust issue. If that doesn't fix it then you can either replace the pot or you can remove the pot and if it is the type that is open on the back or has a removable back then you can shoot electric contact cleaner in there to rejuvenate it. Replacing that part will require some knowledge of electronics and soldering, etc. Sometimes the internal contacts on those pots are just completely worn and the part needs to be replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your insight, amerricannight. Ironically, I happen to be a mobile DJ, so I have a passing familiarity with some of the specifics concepts you speak of and understand that you're saying in the context of PA setup and working backward from the mixer, to the amps, to the speakers.

If I was still operating on the original components, I'd definitely take your advice and look at opening up and cleaning them with electric contact cleaner and resoldering any lose or seemingly bad connections in the components of the signal chain.

The confounding thing to me, however, is I've replaced the amp, just last night, and the factory head unit was replaced with a new aftermarket head unit just last week (that was the first step in my troubleshooting), and I still have no sound.

test for sound ouptput directly off the back of the deck. then sound output directly off the amp. I would also disconnect the speakers from the amp when testing output from the amp. If I were to venture a guess I would bet that you have bad speakers. possibly one or all IDK. But what I do know is that sometimes blown speakers will have those symptoms and cause the amp to go into protection once it reaches a bad enough state. if you can disconnect the speakers from the amp and hook up a known working test speaker and have sound then you have a speaker issue. Test ohms of speakers make sure around 4ohm @ rest. also check resistance to ground from the speakers to make sure none are grounding out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.