Weird Head Unit question

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ronoman
10+ year member

I have 6 speakers right now in my 2012 Chrysler 200 running off my stock headunit, and I need more wattage!

Would it be possible to buy a new headunit and power just the 2 front dash speakers, then output RCAs to another amp for the 4 door speakers?

EDIT: I am probably going to be getting the Kenwood DDX319, if you have an better suggestions I'm open!

Are they stock speakers? Replace them if the are and amp them all. I was impressed when I added speakers and amp to my factory HU. If you put more power to stock speaker you will just get loud and prob worse SQ. Imo I would upgrade speakers first, then amp, then HU. My wife's G35 has pos Bose system 6 speakers w/sub, sounds terrible, the worst Bose speakers I've ever heard. Tweet are dull and the whole system sounds muddy no matter how you adjust it. Thought about adding an amp but I don't think adding more power will make it sound better.

It depends if your head unit has an amp cancel option. Amp cancel on - head unit only does rca to amp speakers. Amp Cancel off - head unit powers wired speakers and sends signal to amp for all speakers. I have a Clarion NX501 and You can power speakers by the head unit and through RCA's to the Amp at the same time with the amp cancel option in the off position.

then again if you're going to get a head unit and an amp for your door speakers you might as well just pick up a component set for front doors and dash and then a 3 way set for the rear doors and run them all amplified. I had 6 stock speakers in my Dodge Nitro and just changed everything out and it sounds amazing.

It depends if your head unit has an amp cancel option. Amp cancel on - head unit only does rca to amp speakers. Amp Cancel off - head unit powers wired speakers and sends signal to amp for all speakers. I have a Clarion NX501 and You can power speakers by the head unit and through RCA's to the Amp at the same time with the amp cancel option in the off position.
WTF are you talking about???

I would never ever ever power stock speakers!!! I replaced the rear and middle sets to Rockford Punch 6.5"s almost 2 months ago. I haven't replaced the dash ones yet, because I don't want to rip apart the front end more than once.. so if i replace the headunit I will also replace the dash speakers.

In my weekend car I built a low budget simple SQ system

I have 3.5" on the dash powered by the head unit.

I have 6.5" mid woofers in the doors and in the back powered by an amp

The dash speakers can get a bit to bright. I am actually switching the dash speakers to some Dayton Wide Bands , I think that is going to help my sound stage.

Bouncing tweeters off the windshield many times becomes pretty harsh.

[quote name='>>SQL

I have 3.5" on the dash powered by the head unit.

I have 6.5" mid woofers in the doors and in the back powered by an amp

The dash speakers can get a bit to bright. I am actually switching the dash speakers to some Dayton Wide Bands ' date=' I think that is going to help my sound stage.

Bouncing tweeters off the windshield many times becomes pretty harsh.[/quote']

What headunit do you have? That is exactly what I want to do.

What headunit do you have? That is exactly what I want to do.
really any basic unit will do what you want.

I bought this one as it has a ton of features found normally on much more expensive units such at front,rear, sub 4 volt pre outs, time alignment, parametric EQ.

This is a good sale, I paid more than that from Sonix a month ago.

Sony DSX-S210X Digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com

x158DSX210X-F.jpeg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.