Weak bass without bass boost! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Heat is the actual cause of equipment death, clipping just accelerates heat build up.
I am past the point of being such a newbie that I know that positively now. lol. But thank you, that makes a lot of sense. I'm just scared to play over that 1%THD, because I don't wanna ruin my expensive equipment. I need like dedicated heat monitoring tech, something that would say be on the heat sink of the amp or being able to read the voice coil temp. I personally hate doing thing by ear or educated guessing (I like solid simple numbers), simply because I feel that it is a very real possibility that I wont be able to discern a little too much clipping. I love the ability to see the numbers etc etc, which is why i prefer my oscope/DD-1 vs doing it by ear.

I am past the point of being such a newbie that I know that positively now. lol. But thank you, that makes a lot of sense. I'm just scared to play over that 1%THD, because I don't wanna ruin my expensive equipment. I need like dedicated heat monitoring tech, something that would say be on the heat sink of the amp or being able to read the voice coil temp. I personally hate doing thing by ear or educated guessing (I like solid simple numbers), simply because I feel that it is a very real possibility that I wont be able to discern a little too much clipping. I love the ability to see the numbers etc etc, which is why i prefer my oscope/DD-1 vs doing it by ear.
You'll smell that X-12 before you kill it. You haven't gotten it hot yet?

again, its a skill to build, you start out very low confidence because your skill level is low, its the same as any other skill you learn out there when you have high dollar equipment on the line that you dont want to fk up. But if you never work on it, that means you wont have the skill.

You'll smell that X-12 before you kill it. You haven't gotten it hot yet?
The only time I got it what I would consider "hot" which is just warmer than usual, (mind you I am feeling the dustcap because I can't feel the coil itself) was back when I didn't have a good understand of gain overlap and I was playing really loud **** like a rebassed X by 21 savage that had like -1.8db @21hz notes. WITH a -10db test tone set gain. it was bad but, I ended up blowing a fuse on my amp before my sub had any issues at all.

I actually have another question for both of you if you know. Literally since like day 1 of having my sub, it had a smell to it. At first I thought it was like excess glue getting hot or something and I read that happens, but it go away. even now after like 2 years, If i smell in the area where my sub is, while not playing I can smell something mechanical-like. Especially if I stick my nose in the port. Is that weird? I've never had that with other subs.

Is it the box or the sub you're smelling? Or the box glue, or the sub glue? If it's been 2 years it's not an issue

You're completely fine playing music with some gain overlap, just listen to it and feel the dustcap when you're concerned.

Recones aren't even that expensive for a single sub, you're worrying too much. I absolutely rail on my Team AA and Jeff does too. Like absolutely stinks it's so hot, the dustcap gets so hot the glue on the letters loosens and the letters crinkle up. It's a 4 inch coil so it maintains heat more, but you get the point.

I actually have another question for both of you if you know. Literally since like day 1 of having my sub, it had a smell to it. At first I thought it was like excess glue getting hot or something and I read that happens, but it go away. even now after like 2 years, If i smell in the area where my sub is, while not playing I can smell something mechanical-like. Especially if I stick my nose in the port. Is that weird? I've never had that with other subs.
if the sub still lives after your rebassed music fiasco, its just a smelly sub lmao. I wouldn't care too much unless its a coil smell.

Is it the box or the sub you're smelling? Or the box glue, or the sub glue? If it's been 2 years it's not an issue
You're completely fine playing music with some gain overlap, just listen to it and feel the dustcap when you're concerned.

Recones aren't even that expensive for a single sub, you're worrying too much. I absolutely rail on my Team AA and Jeff does too. Like absolutely stinks it's so hot, the dustcap gets so hot the glue on the letters loosens and the letters crinkle up. It's a 4 inch coil so it maintains heat more, but you get the point.
I suppose it could be the box. I never considered that before, because I'm stupid lol. I'm honestly worried about my amp more than my sub. I don't think I could push enough power to overpower it into heat death. I'm pretty confident that I could really only clip it to death, whilst also destroying my amp.

I actually never even got the coils hot, at best it gets warm on a 102 degree day in summer. Not unless I swap over to lithium and get more power out of my amps. Mines is inverted so i touch the coil directly.

Yeah, what's not right is your refusal to comprehend something
I completely comprehend. I just don’t think you know what I’m trying to say.

You boost. I use the volume knob. That way everything stays where it supposed to be. Even in the basshead scion I never boosted anything.

I completely comprehend. I just don’t think you know what I’m trying to say. You boost. I use the volume knob. That way everything stays where it supposed to be. Even in the basshead scion I never boosted anything.
So if my doors are set so 44 on my volume knob is max, but the sub level is recorded differently. Am I just supposed to clip my doors to get sub output? Or use the volume level for the sub?

I actually never even got the coils hot, at best it gets warm on a 102 degree day in summer. Not unless I swap over to lithium and get more power out of my amps. Mines is inverted so i touch the coil directly.
That's surprising to me, I guess you can't get your amps to a soft clip without dropping voltage drastically

So if my doors are set so 44 on my volume knob is max, but the sub level is recorded differently. Am I just supposed to clip my doors to get sub output? Or use the volume level for the sub?

That's surprising to me, I guess you can't get your amps to a soft clip without dropping voltage drastically
Why would it be recorded differently? Play the music as intended. If you want more bass then listen to music with more bass. Not telling you what to do but that works for me. You start messing with levels on playback then you mess something up.

Why would it be recorded differently? Play the music as intended. If you want more bass then listen to music with more bass. Not telling you what to do but that works for me. You start messing with levels on playback then you mess something up.
Again, it's not balanced on music with the bass recorded lower due to a variety of factors. My substage doesn't play flat, it's not EQ'd. 99% of people have their setup this way.

Again, it's not balanced on music with the bass recorded lower due to a variety of factors. My substage doesn't play flat, it's not EQ'd. 99% of people have their setup this way.
Then I was right. You are not going to understand what I’m trying to say. If everything is balanced from the start then all that’s needed to adjust is the volume.

I’m glad we worked that out. Next time just say you don’t understand instead of trying to insult

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.