Waterproofing speakers in my door

Califmike33

CarAudio.com Regular
Wondering what's the consensus does everybody waterproof their speakers or try to protect their speakers inside their car door from moisture and water getting in the door?

If you do what's the best way to go about doing that I'm about to seal up my door I'm wondering if I should waterproof my speakers.

Wondering what's the consensus does everybody waterproof their speakers or try to protect their speakers inside their car door from moisture and water getting in the door?

If you do what's the best way to go about doing that I'm about to seal up my door I'm wondering if I should waterproof my speakers.

Not alot of options the nvx silicon baffles give you a lot of cover but you can't really seal the entire back side to be truly waterproof without affecting frequency response

Best thing you can do is make sure ANY AND ALL drain holes in the bottom of the door are unobstructed. This allows the water to drain and will create MUCH LESS condensation inside the doors from lack of standing water. Put a brim on the back side of the top of the speaker so falling water goes around and not on the speaker. Most non paper cones should handle moisture pretty well.

That's what I was thinking I actually have like a half inch piece of closed cell foam that's sort of waterproof I was thinking wedging it between the door panels above the speaker so it would detour the water around the speaker and then just roll off to the bottom of the door.

That's what I was thinking I actually have like a half inch piece of closed cell foam that's sort of waterproof I was thinking wedging it between the door panels above the speaker so it would detour the water around the speaker and then just roll off to the bottom of the door.

That should be the cheapest route as you likely have extra left over from the front speaker seal

If you do what's the best way to go about doing that I'm about to seal up my door I'm wondering if I should waterproof my speakers
I like using foam baffles. I have had the current baffles ~4 years. As far as frequency attenuation, I hear no discernible difference sans baffles.
Screenshot_20221026-212531(1).png

Best thing you can do is make sure ANY AND ALL drain holes in the bottom of the door are unobstructed. This allows the water to drain and will create MUCH LESS condensation inside the doors from lack of standing water. Put a brim on the back side of the top of the speaker so falling water goes around and not on the speaker. Most non paper cones should handle moisture pretty well.
Drain holes don't have any effect on speakers. The door won't fill that high. Is a brim the same as a baffle?

@Califmike33 roll up your windows when it rains. If wet speakers are unavoidable, then replacing speakers is unavoidable.

Drain holes don't have any effect on speakers. The door won't fill that high. Is a brim the same as a baffle?

@Califmike33 roll up your windows when it rains. If wet speakers are unavoidable, then replacing speakers is unavoidable.
If the drain holes are clogged then the door will hold water. Heat will cause evaporation and condensation. Water will get all over everything including the speaker. I am speaking from experience. I had a door with clogged drain holes. The speaker was trashed.

If the drain holes are clogged then the door will hold water. Heat will cause evaporation and condensation. Water will get all over everything including the speaker. I am speaking from experience. I had a door with clogged drain holes. The speaker was trashed.
This happens often to 2007+ GM trucks. Condensation shortens the life of the speakers.

Made an interesting Discovery when checking where to put my little waterproof shield I rolled my window down and when my window is all the way down it misses the part of the speaker that's in the door by a quarter of an inch half an inch there's literally no room to put anything above the speaker to shield the water unless I can always remember to not roll my window all the way down.

Made an interesting Discovery when checking where to put my little waterproof shield I rolled my window down and when my window is all the way down it misses the part of the speaker that's in the door by a quarter of an inch half an inch there's literally no room to put anything above the speaker to shield the water unless I can always remember to not roll my window all the way down.
Most of the time any water entering from the top of the door (when raining) is going to travel down the outside edges of the door. That rubber channel is there to make a seal against the glass and to divert water to the front and or back. It will drip into the door at the hinge side and latch ends of the door if your weather stripping is in working order. It will then drain out the bottom. Water very rarely will drip ON the speakers themselves if the weather stripping is intact. Leaving your windows down or spilling liquids in the door... well, that is a different story.

I may get some of those foam speaker baffles and cut a hole in the bottom of them supposedly improves the sound quality so they're not completely enclosing the speaker just over the top or I may just leave them alone the speakers that were in my car the stock ones we're not covered my car is 10 years old I just removed the stock speakers they looked perfectly fine.

I may get some of those foam speaker baffles and cut a hole in the bottom of them supposedly improves the sound quality so they're not completely enclosing the speaker just over the top or I may just leave them alone the speakers that were in my car the stock ones we're not covered my car is 10 years old I just removed the stock speakers they looked perfectly fine.
If you have the panels off and the speakers out... great time to sound deaden the doors ;)

All the sound deadening is done just need to put the speakers in looking at the way the window works you're right I never thought about it the actual water if it does get in is going to go down the window side that's furthest outside on the door and then there's a channel that my window sits in I don't see water ever actually getting to the speakers unless it was raining and you had the window down I think I'm going to pass on the waterproofing. Stock speakers survived 10 years undamaged that's enough for me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...