Was I expecting too much from my PPI mids???

Plottin4success
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Well, I got everything hooked up the other day and I can honestly say that Im not 100% satisfied with how loud my comps are. I am running soem PPI 356cs comps off of a Sundown SAX125.2. They sound great, but arent really as loud as I expected. They are only slightly louder than when I had my Hifonics running off my H/U. They do sound a whole helluva lot better though. Yall think I should get a bigger amp? Maybe something that does around 200-250 RMS x2 @ 4ohms? I have a feeling that I wont be able to hear my highs over my sub when I hook it up.

I turned my 880prs to 50 of 62 and turned up the gain till I heard clipping, then I back off a little bit. I also used the Auto T/A - EQ on the PRS.

Suggestions?

Well, I got everything hooked up the other day and I can honestly say that Im not 100% satisfied with how loud my comps are. I am running soem PPI 356cs comps off of a Sundown SAX125.2. They sound great, but arent really as loud as I expected. They are only slightly louder than when I had my Hifonics running off my H/U. They do sound a whole helluva lot better though. Yall think I should get a bigger amp? Maybe something that does around 200-250 RMS x2 @ 4ohms? I have a feeling that I wont be able to hear my highs over my sub when I hook it up.
I turned my 880prs to 50 of 62 and turned up the gain till I heard clipping, then I back off a little bit. I also used the Auto T/A - EQ on the PRS.

Suggestions?
That's just how the comps are. These mids leave much output to be desired.

If you want an amp like that i would recommend a Dsc4125. I switched out my 125.2 for one and i love it.
so did I, though Im quite sure the Sundown should have been enough to give them juice....I dont have any exp with those comps, I do know they are inefficient however..

If I bought this amp...
http://cgi.ebay.com/MB-QUART-DSC480-AMP-4-CHANNEL-CAR-AMPLIFIER-NEW-DSC-480_W0QQitemZ140362789438QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Amplifiers?hash=item20ae46323e

Could I bridge it and run 320 RMS to each comp? Of course I would watch my gains.

Seriously, these are BARELY louder than when my truck was running the Hifonics comps off of my old Alpine deck.

I dont see why not, esp if your careful with your gains...I fed a Rockford Fosgate Power Series Comp set around 300w and they were fine, (they had a pretty low efficienty as well). Before I sold it, I bridged my AQ4x90 to 2 channels and fed 240w to my PG RSDs passive, (with a Blaupunkt VC100 tweeters replacing the PGs), and notice a huge improvement in overall sound and output.

Honestly, im tempted to bridged my Discus 4125 to see how it would sound, just feel like 500w per side maybe a bit much //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Scratch that.

I just went outside and played around with the EQ. I cut out some of the lower frequencies and boosted the highs a little bit. I reset my gains with the volume at 55 and they sound much louder now with absolutely now audible clipping. Before, the mids would reach their limit but it sounded like the tweets still had some left in them. The Auto EQ was setting my bass too high. I'm sticking with the Sundown.

I havent heard many comp sets before, but I will say that these arent lacking any midbass. They seem to dig pretty low. They held their own on Jeezy's "Hypnotize". They did pretty good except for those really low notes in the song.

Jeeezy...
I know.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

A little played out, but that song gets low as hell and I wanted to see how the comps would take them. I cant wait till I can get $400 so I can get an amp for the sub. Then I'll set the crossovers properly. I hate when people still try to have their mids playing sub bass frequencies. Then they complain about how they distort at high volumes.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

You shouldnt be dissapointed.

Just get an amp that does around 125-150 x2 at 4ohms. They are very innefficient. They need some power to really shine. I was outside listening to them and trying to fine tune the sound as best I could. My ears are starting to hurt now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.