Was he right or was he being an idiot??

boddy
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
All started when my tweeter broke, i got my working one and starting unplugging it and plugging it in while my music was playing, realised it was defiantly broke and exchanged just the tweeter for a new one. Put it all back together and i noticed that my speakers made a horrible noise when the gain was turned up and there was a wine when the engine was on from the woofers AND the tweeters, but it was a fixed noise and did not correspond to the rpm's. Tried some 6x9's on my amp and there's no problem at all, so it wernt the amp its my speakers. So i tried to take them back at one shop and the geza was checking the woofers and were saying they were fine. He told me that i must of been overloading them because they are 3.6ohm and my amp is 4ohm but my amp is stable at anything down to 2ohm. And he was saying you have to get them to match, but i don't know any amp that is just 3.6ohm. So i walked out and had to exchange them at another halfords. Just about to go fit them now and hopefully the noise should be gone as i narrowed it down and it was defiantly my old set of speakers.

All started when my tweeter broke, i got my working one and starting unplugging it and plugging it in while my music was playing, realised it was defiantly broke and exchanged just the tweeter for a new one. Put it all back together and i noticed that my speakers made a horrible noise when the gain was turned up and there was a wine when the engine was on from the woofers AND the tweeters, but it was a fixed noise and did not correspond to the rpm's. Tried some 6x9's on my amp and there's no problem at all, so it wernt the amp its my speakers. So i tried to take them back at one shop and the geza was checking the woofers and were saying they were fine. He told me that i must of been overloading them because they are 3.6ohm and my amp is 4ohm but my amp is stable at anything down to 2ohm. And he was saying you have to get them to match, but i don't know any amp that is just 3.6ohm. So i walked out and had to exchange them at another halfords. Just about to go fit them now and hopefully the noise should be gone as i narrowed it down and it was defiantly my old set of speakers.
It doesnt have to be exact, but matching is the best thing you can do for any setup for many many reasons. But If they do 3.6Ohm, then any amplifier capable of less than that should be fine without overloading them. Since the amp is 4Ohm, that is the best possible solution that he mentioned that I can tell. Keep in mind, which if you already know this, sorry to sound rude, but gain is NOT a volume control. So, after the system is tuned properly, these should not be touched again unless you switch for a different speaker, not the same one, but even then should be tuned everytime. The gain is likely the reason for the whine. Its feedback from the signal and needs to be adjusted properly.

I just fitted them and they sounded perfect no noise at all. I turned my system off while i put all my panels back together and turned my system on, head a very loud horrible noise :\ Turned gain down again and it went away but now the problem is back. I think i might have to try and return them again and get a get of speakers that are EXACTLY 4Ohm, what do you think?

it isnt the speakers. theres no way. .4ohm shouldnt make a difference. its either your system has a ground loop problem, or you need a different amp or retune it.

I don't see what else it could be, when my old pair was playing up i tried my subs ground and it made no difference. And i tried some 50w 6x9's on the amp and it was perfectly fine. That's when i went and brought these and when i first got them they seemed fine. I did have the gain set at max without realising and i did play them fairly loud but they was clear as hell and was no distortion. I will just have to try borrow an amp off someone and see what happens then.

I don't see what else it could be, when my old pair was playing up i tried my subs ground and it made no difference. And i tried some 50w 6x9's on the amp and it was perfectly fine. That's when i went and brought these and when i first got them they seemed fine. I did have the gain set at max without realising and i did play them fairly loud but they was clear as hell and was no distortion. I will just have to try borrow an amp off someone and see what happens then.

....wtf?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.