Warm Sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

MrLaRotta
10+ year member

Hi

I have a Question: A lot of people who ask me for advice, believes the stupid mith that the subs make too much bass, like the BOOM BOOM BOOM sound of the snobist pip-my ride style cars.

Off course I dont agree, the subs have the same importance as a woofer or a tweeter, and I heared that if the crossover is correctly set, you can get a soft bass wich combines perfectly with the sound of the mids and the tweeters. If that's true, what´s the way? a wider range of frecuencies for the filter? maybe, 20 - 125, instread of 20 - 100?

Thank you in advance of your help

simply crossing the subwoofer over higher can create unwanted harmonics from the subs. Playing the subwoofers above 80 hz or so is one of the things that creates that annoying droning that some people don't like subs for.
... Not to say that all subs can't handle these frequencies. There are a lot of woofers out there with very strong midbass abilities. I have a pair of 8"s and a 12" that play high enough to be midbass drivers themselves.

Honestly, the only way you'll tell what needs to be done to your setup is to try and get it where you want it. Go out and mess with what ya got. Adjust the crossover frequencies and gains until you get it as close to perfect as your ears can detect. If it still lacks in places, find out where and look into ways of fixing it.

So, let me repeat to make sure I understood: I have to buy a woofer capable to reach 300 hz or so, to cover the "hole" and get the warmer bass. But anyway, if my low pass filter is too low, or too high (and my subwoofer cant handle these high frequencies), I will get the undesirable droning.

Correct?

Good stuff, thanks. I think alot of us tend to forget about the mid bass. It seems to be the most difficult of all to blend into the entire sytstem. That is something I could add more to my system.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.