warm dust caps?!

Bad ground eh?? hmm that was the one aspect of this build that I wasn't 100% confident with from the get-go. I currently have to grounded to a seat bolt, i sanded it down good and torqued the bolt down hella good. Would it be best to simply make a run of 1/0 from the back batt to the front battery?
I have twp runs of Knu KCA 1/0 front to back for the power, would I want to match up my ground runs with the same amount of wire?
Lol, yeah bad ground too get a bare metal contact (paint sanded off) and use a bolt or self tapping screw to put the ground terminal in.

Bad ground eh?? hmm that was the one aspect of this build that I wasn't 100% confident with from the get-go. I currently have to grounded to a seat bolt, i sanded it down good and torqued the bolt down hella good. Would it be best to simply make a run of 1/0 from the back batt to the front battery?
I have twp runs of Knu KCA 1/0 front to back for the power, would I want to match up my ground runs with the same amount of wire?
that's ideal, yes

i would try to run a 1/0 from front to back for the ground. IDK what kind of car but i have seen big results from doing that especially in unibody cars also multiple grounds are a plus also i didnt see if this was done but did u go a big three up front? that will help too.

i will also say that sa's can handle the 1k but on music i have noticed that they get stinky pretty fast and warm as well so its a good bet that they are being stressed a lil bit.

i would try to run a 1/0 from front to back for the ground. IDK what kind of car but i have seen big results from doing that especially in unibody cars also multiple grounds are a plus also i didnt see if this was done but did u go a big three up front? that will help too.
i will also say that sa's can handle the 1k but on music i have noticed that they get stinky pretty fast and warm as well so its a good bet that they are being stressed a lil bit.
hey jeff

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/moon.gif.9d317aec3339ffe7fde0638df52c628a.gif

The dust caps will get warm as it works to move hot air through the motor -- there is no concern... they will typically have to get so hot the poly becomes soft before you will thermal the coil.

@BIGJEFF64 I have an 04 jeep grandcherokee and it is a unibody frame. Sounds liek I will be ordering some wire and making a few more runs, would be the best to know for sure I have a good ground capable of handling the load.

[quote name='sundownz']The dust caps will get warm as it works to move hot air through the motor -- there is no concern... they will typically have to get so hot the poly becomes soft before you will thermal the coil.[/QUOTE]

thank you for chiming in, I will be sure to keep a carefull eye on the temps going forward. I was definitely no where near that hot, not even close to "hot."

btw, I love the subs, couldn't be happier with them, they get loud and low and sound good doing it!

The dust caps will get warm as it works to move hot air through the motor -- there is no concern... they will typically have to get so hot the poly becomes soft before you will thermal the coil.
I was just about to chime in. I have 2 15 sa's, and the dust cap gets warm after a while, but its no issue at all. They seem to be taking the power just fine. I have 1k on each 15 in my setup. Like mentioned op, you will be fine.. Pound away..

not all the power gets used by the wooofer, some gets lost as heat, as you run more power, more heat, to an extent. thats why woofers can have cooling upgrades and all, they disperse heat naturally. Most of the time it gets sent into the bbasket and the rest off the woofer, dust cap will just get warm..

good to know, thanks for all the responses and input from everyone! Puts my worries/curiosity to rest about this.

I will still be doing the ground wire upgrades just for the sake of having a better electrical.

good to know, thanks for all the responses and input from everyone! Puts my worries/curiosity to rest about this.
I will still be doing the ground wire upgrades just for the sake of having a better electrical.
You should come to the show at Audio Designs in Winona on Saturday the 26th! Atleast view some other rides and get some ideas.

You should come to the show at Audio Designs in Winona on Saturday the 26th! Atleast view some other rides and get some ideas.
Hell yea man I just may do that, I've never been to a show, even just to spectate. I would really like to get my subs on a meter just to see what they do. you got an adress or any other info on the event? Winona is only an hour and a half or so from me, Eau Claire, so I would definitely be interested in hitting it up.

i suppose it could be clipping, I don't hear anything as far as distortion or clipping, btu i'm no expert. I doubt it's low voltage, i rarely drop below 13 volts while driving, and I don't bump while sitting still usually. i have the big 3 in 0 gauge, optima YT, 2 runs of 0 to the back, kinetik 2400.
is there any way to test clipping without an oscilloscope*? I set the gains to 60 volts AC with my dmm on a 50 hertz 0db test tone at 3/4 volume.

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

haha, word man? what are you running? jw.

i wasn't too worried cause I couldn't smell the coils cooking at all, but I am just curious as to if I need to worry about this.
I always run something different, nothing right now. Just helped install 4 sa 15s in a Chevette though, we put 1500 to each and you can bet they are warm !

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.