warm dust caps?!

Jerhemy
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
WI
I am running two sa 15's off a kicker zx2500.1 (you may remember seeing my previous thread about sending the sa's that much power) that I have set the gains with a DMM to output 1000 wrms to each sub at 2 ohms.

The subs sound great and I have not been smelling any voice coil heat or anything. But last night I took a nice cruise and had them bumpin pretty hard for around 25 minutes straight, with several small breaks in the music between songs and such. When I got home I felt the dust caps and they were definitely a bit warm, is this suspect of them getting too much power or over worked?

any info would be great,

I don't have any experience with this, but I'd assume it's just the heat radiating from the rest of the subwoofer. It's probably fine, but I'm not 100% sure.

clipping !!!! the subs not enough battery juice
i suppose it could be clipping, I don't hear anything as far as distortion or clipping, btu i'm no expert. I doubt it's low voltage, i rarely drop below 13 volts while driving, and I don't bump while sitting still usually. i have the big 3 in 0 gauge, optima YT, 2 runs of 0 to the back, kinetik 2400.

is there any way to test clipping without an oscilloscope*? I set the gains to 60 volts AC with my dmm on a 50 hertz 0db test tone at 3/4 volume.

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Rofl I cant even touch mine most of the time.
haha, word man? what are you running? jw.

i wasn't too worried cause I couldn't smell the coils cooking at all, but I am just curious as to if I need to worry about this.

what size alt do you have ?
supposed to be 240 amp at 1200 rmp, but it's not an iraggi* or mechman or anything, it's a world power systems alt, so it might not be that powerful. I don't get any light dim or anything.

what size alt do you have ?
scaled.php

hmm , sounds like a big enough alt ,then maybe your just throwing too much power at them . they shouldn't be getting hot ,a little warm is ok every now and then.heat is bad for the coils .

could be ! 

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

this , not good
they were definitely not HOT at all, just slightly warmer than the rest of the cone/surround.

I will be sure to keep an eye on them and check for heat after any serious bumpin.

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

Tone down the power
will do, or maybe it's a sign that new/ more beefy subs are in order already...

clipping,bad ground, too much power, or just regular heat build up
Bad ground eh?? hmm that was the one aspect of this build that I wasn't 100% confident with from the get-go. I currently have to grounded to a seat bolt, i sanded it down good and torqued the bolt down hella good. Would it be best to simply make a run of 1/0 from the back batt to the front battery?

I have twp runs of Knu KCA 1/0 front to back for the power, would I want to match up my ground runs with the same amount of wire?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.