Volume to emulate a small concert venue…

Participant count
  • Participant list

sizmtrz

Forgive is this is a poor analogy, but getting to see live music again recently brought it to mind…

in a jeep Gladiator, a single sudown 10 getting 500w rms, and 6.5 seperates in the corners getting 100rms each, and sound deadening the whole tub… will this give me the volume to not be able to hear my passanger unless she is at my ear yelling?
Size

doubt it. im only hitting around 100 dbs, minus my sub. but im running my fronts off my deck. so maybe 105db?

Metallica concerts can hit like 126 dbs. but most concerts arent that loud

i think most are like 115 or so

doubt it. im only hitting around 100 dbs, minus my sub. but im running my fronts off my deck. so maybe 105db?

Metallica concerts can hit like 126 dbs. but most concerts arent that loud

i think most are like 115 or so
Copy that. Thank you. Well, first wrangler was a 60x4 +250, the next wrangler was a 75x4 + 320. So I’m consistantly getting louder. Lol.

Like I said, I’m planning for 500rms to the sub. Of my options that fit the depth of the box, and can handle the power I want, are the Sundown EV-3 or the Skar VD -10. I’ve seen that Skar has a bad vibe around here but any experiences with either of thaes would be appriciated!

I'd say depends on the door speakers. Pro audio style are generally much more efficient they just struggle at lower midbass and the tweeters can be harsh. But loud isn't that hard to achieve alone.

And power definitely doesn't have that much to due with how loud.

My Memphis Viv 6.5s are getting 180w to each mid and 125w to each tweeter and they definitely aren't super loud at 300+ watt per door. They just want more power.

I'm pulling the mids and replacing with some $35 silverflutes and if they don't satisfy me sundown neopro 6.5 pro style mids. I want more midbass than loudness. I'm almost to the point of custom building ported pods for my mids. Which I don't want to do

Forgive is this is a poor analogy, but getting to see live music again recently brought it to mind…

in a jeep Gladiator, a single sudown 10 getting 500w rms, and 6.5 seperates in the corners getting 100rms each, and sound deadening the whole tub… will this give me the volume to not be able to hear my passanger unless she is at my ear yelling?
Size

You will always hear your passenger unless you are a "treble rebel!" If you are with a hot chick then at least act like you are listening. Just a tip kiddo!

You will always hear your passenger unless you are a "treble rebel!" If you are with a hot chick then at least act like you are listening. Just a tip kiddo!
LOL, I guess it was a bad analogy. I don't have any reason to not want to hear my wife in the passenger seat. IT was just the concert I was at recently that made me explain it that way.

I'd say depends on the door speakers. Pro audio style are generally much more efficient they just struggle at lower midbass and the tweeters can be harsh. But loud isn't that hard to achieve alone.

And power definitely doesn't have that much to due with how loud.

My Memphis Viv 6.5s are getting 180w to each mid and 125w to each tweeter and they definitely aren't super loud at 300+ watt per door. They just want more power.

I'm pulling the mids and replacing with some $35 silverflutes and if they don't satisfy me sundown neopro 6.5 pro style mids. I want more midbass than loudness. I'm almost to the point of custom building ported pods for my mids. Which I don't want to do

Copy that, Thank you, that is not what I want.

Ihave been away for a while, the last time I was heavy into car audio, Precision Power and Orion were the kings of Amps, Kicker was brand new, and MB Quart were the TOL speakers. So what was that... like the early/mid 90's. Reading suggestions on great budget stuff is throwing me... I never thought I could get the power I'm looking for (4x 100 + 500) for less than $500. Its insane to me, again going back to who were the "good" amp makers 30 years ago. LOL Thank you for the help.

Copy that, Thank you, that is not what I want.

Ihave been away for a while, the last time I was heavy into car audio, Precision Power and Orion were the kings of Amps, Kicker was brand new, and MB Quart were the TOL speakers. So what was that... like the early/mid 90's. Reading suggestions on great budget stuff is throwing me... I never thought I could get the power I'm looking for (4x 100 + 500) for less than $500. Its insane to me, again going back to who were the "good" amp makers 30 years ago. LOL Thank you for the help.
4x100 +500 definitely won't get you anywhere near a proper rock concert, but should be plenty loud enough that you'll want to turn it down to have a conversation and what you described in your OP is certainly at the point where you will begin to get very diminishing returns from adding more power without figuring out places to put more speakers/cone area. That's roughly what I have in my pickup and in my Corolla and it's decent for normal folks.

Getting loud bass in a car is super easy compared to in a big stadium or concert venue so really a good ported 15" woofer on 500W can get you around the feeling of a concert on the low end, but consider the mids and highs at a concert are being played through huge stacks of large diameter full range drivers and horns. I have seen many people (typically Brazilians) loading their doors with PA midranges and horns and mostly they sound like absolute ****. Some sound OK standing 20 feet away, but mostly it's just not practical to get that into a car without really getting creative and being good with planning and EQ/crossover settings. The point being 140dB at 50hz in a car is do-able, 140dB at 300hz or 1000hz will be extremely difficult in a vehicle (though easy to do with PA stacks at a concert).

Yes power is super cheap now, even made in USA stuff (when adjusted for inflation) is cheap compared to the buck a watt we paid back in the late 80s early 90s, head unit technology and digital sound processing has also gotten really good and really cheap, and speakers have evolved largely to be grossly inefficient, but to handle the loads of cheap power everyone has these days. Not saying the modern speakers are bad, there's some fine offerings and even some middle of the road priced stuff can sound fantastic, but they're not efficient like we used to get.

Thank you... thats kind of what I was thinking. More front speaker would be something like this...

JL Shop Now | Jeep Sound Bar Upgrade Kit | Jeep Wrangler JL Speaker and Stereo Upgrade | American SoundBar

and for comparable subs I'd loose my rear seat and its still gonna be aDD truck ant off road toy.
Yes, that sort of array should get you a good bit louder particularly if it's aimed right at your head. The tradeoff will be achieving any sort of stereo separation may go out the window and you invite issues that will happen in a tiny uneven space (a vehicle). Building big arrays into a concert hall or giant stacks on either side of a stage in an outdoor arena with the listeners being 50 yards away is a whole different animal than a bunch of speakers at arm's length in a tiny vehicle.

I've had very good results with Q-logic kickpanels, so check to see if they make those to fit your vehicle. Kicks are a good mounting location for imaging and they may blend better with factory fronts assuming they're low in the doors they'll be quite close. They look nice and are super easy to install, not cheap, but I've bought them for several vehicles and IMO they're worth every penny especially if you've ever had to build your own kicks.

Right. Thanks. Im in a 22 jeep Gladiator. No door speakers, as they will be off as often as possible. Haha.
Brand new vehicle likely won't have off-the-shelf kick options and yes, sound bar is probably your best option. Bear in mind if your doors/roof are off or you have a soft top or whatever getting good bass is probably not going to happen for you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...