Voltage regulator for amplifiers?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Justin000

Canada
I’ve noticed that my trucks voltage varies from 12.5-15.3v and I thought my alternators regulator was toast but apparently the ECM is controlling my alternators output. And it’s normal to go as high as 15.5v when certain conditions are met, one of those conditions is the temperature of the battery being below 0. Which is almost everyday for about 4 months where I live.

Now I’m pretty sure this is what’s messing with my amps. They go into protect anytime my voltage is above 15.2ish and I turn the volume up high enough. (Over 50%)

I set my gains with a multimeter so I seriously doubt that 50% volume is enough to push them into protect. Especially when I can get to 100% volume when my voltage is below 15

I’m wondering how other people deal with this?

Could I use an inline voltage regulator to hold a steady 14.5v on the amps power wire?

It’s a 2011 Silverado if you’re wondering about the computer controlled alternator.

15.5 is high but my voltage goes up to 15.3 for the first 20 or so minutes until it drops to 15v or so.

It’s normal for this happen during the winter.

You either will have to externally regulate or get an amp with an operating voltage that’s above 15.5v

External of the alternator? I assumed so. I don’t want to mess with the voltage of anything else on the truck. I like to think that gm has a reason for altering the voltage. So I just want to regulate the sound system.

The regulator would go inline with the stereo power wire right?

And I’m having a hard time finding one that would actually accept a 0/1 gauge wire. I can only find much small ones.

Get a different amp.

To regulate as much current as it would take to power your amp would cost you at least what you paid for the amp if not more.

You running 2 700w mono amps i assume?

Ditch them and get a 1.4k-2k amp.

We distribute Alphard and can provide you the best pricing for Canadian import for a good replacement.

Get a different amp.
To regulate as much current as it would take to power your amp would cost you at least what you paid for the amp if not more.

You running 2 700w mono amps i assume?

Ditch them and get a 1.4k-2k amp.

We distribute Alphard and can provide you the best pricing for Canadian import for a good replacement.

2x 700w mono amps

1x 500w 4ch amp

I don’t know who you are but if you sell amps for a good price, I’ll definitely take a look.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.