Volksawgon GTi doorpod rebuild IDQ8D4 IB

nice jetta man, wish my car looked that clean lol.
i plan on getting this kit to replace the one i got, its urethane instead of fiberglass like the one i have. theres a crack in the bottom middle of the fascia and the edges in front of the front tires are starting to spiderweb, not to mention the mounting points to the fenders are not that great either.

http://www.eurogearusa.com/bodykits/products/99_vw_golf_rs_body_kit.html

for reference - this is what it looked like this morning;

001fn.jpg

and this is what i got done today.

024eru.jpg

027ds.jpg

025ab.jpg

026h.jpg

basically all i did was get some turtle polishing compound and a 3500rpm random orbital buffer. then i buffed it about 3 times or so. then i got some meguiars carnauba cleaner wax and buffed it 3 more times. then i got meguiars black gold wax and put a nice healthy wax on it. looks 100x better than it did before. its still faded a bit in the middle of the hood, and i have a few anomalies in the composite, but im satisfied with the result. what do you think?
How much do those hood's go for? Have a GOLF myself and want to do some BOD changes and was just wonderin. gqjeff, your shat is crazy lookin man, wish mine was as nice!

looking great bro, hood looks amazing, cant wait to see the new pods when there done, im gonna be ordering my new head unit at the end of the month along with some new CX 62's, might even buy some new subs as well, just saying hey from Iraq brother, maybe this time you'll get these one's wrapped this time lol

i installed a new (longer + better quality) optical cable and re-routed some wires and put some more zipties where they should have been for the last 2 years. i didnt get any pics of that, its just wires - so im sure its no big deal.

and then i re-wired my subwoofer wiring. i have an IB setup and the wires on the bottom were re-wired to a single 2 ohm load (idqv2d2 x 2) from a previous pair of 1 ohm loads and i had to do it on the fly so i cut some wires and spliced and it was not pretty. so i took some wire i had laying around and some heatshrink, techflex, and solder... then redid all the wires.

the best part is that i tucked the wires in the reverse-flushmount groove around the basket so its all stealth wire! i cant believe i didnt think of doing it that way before. im stolked at how it looks. heres some cellphone pics!!!

subwires1.jpg

subwires2.jpg

sorry it took so long.

i ordered some flushmount MDF baffles for the IDQ8s from g0a on diymobieaudio.com so that i could get them upon my return from key west, and there was a diameter calculation error, so i had to get them remade. this is why it took so much extra time.

i apologize for not getting pictures of the mounting of the MDF rings, i just used chopsticks you can get for free at any asian food place (or maybe a few bucks for a handful) and i only used 2 packs of them for this project. break them (i used dykes) for the correct length you need and use CA glue and accelerator to get them in place. i recommend CA glue over hot-glue because hot-glue is NOT sandable and is NOT a good combination with any sort of epoxy (fiberglass resin). CA glue acts just like super fast drying epoxy, so its a great tool.

then i stretched purple fabric i got at Jo-Anne Fabrics that is really super thin and stretches quite a lot in 4 directions. this is super important. stretching stage will make your contours come out nice and solid, make sure you stretch it HARD, like almost enough to rip the cloth. the harder you stretch the less amount of sagging you will get with you apply resin.

and i glue about 1~2 inches at a time while i stretch.start on a long side of your project on the rear-mould that you made, glue 1" section along the edge and stretch the cloth HARD to the opposite side and glue 1" section there - not along the back, but right on the edge of the rear mould. then rotate and repeat until the whole edge is glued. then cut the excess off //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

super easy.

heres pics.

ciddownsized10070918429.jpg

ciddownsized10070918399.jpg

cid1007091841a8992049.jpg

cid10070918408930707.jpg

cid1007091840a8962398.jpg

heres some random ones, my 120gb zune with my ghetto aux input (using #1 analog input on the pxa-h701)

cid10070918418974495.jpg

cid10080919122346466.jpg

cid10090913179207418.jpg

ciddownsized1009091318.jpg

the pods are about 1\4~1\2 inch from the bottom of the door jamb\floor trim piece and about 1\4~1\2 inch from the bottom edge of the dash\knee bolster\glove box areas. but they are about 2~3 inches less obtrusive than my last set of door pods and they have a flush mount too. these should be MUCH nicer than my last ones

i plan on wrapping them with some nice quality black vynl. after i fill them with clay and stiffen them with fiberglass and sand them down ill worry about covering them later. i got a 9 hour drive to NY and i need to have door speakers lol.

cid10130911227229703.jpg

cid10130921486498268.jpg

cid10130921496890139.jpg

luckily my amplifier\subwoofer package is modular so i can take them out quickly. im about 90% done tech flexing the wires in the trunk. after i come back from deployment i will re-wire the rest of the wires, but i did not have enough time\materials for that yet. and ill prolly throw down some sound absorbent mat.

all ive got left to do is make my 5 channel phono cables. the best part about the phono cables, is they are made of military grade solid silver aircraft triax wire. it has a jacket, silver shield, jacket, silver shiled (i use this as my negative conductor), dielectric jacket, silver center conductor. even though they are very stiff, they should be super awesome quality. i believe the wire is somewhere in the range of 500~1000 dollars a foot!!! (and no, i cant sell it)

ciddownsized10130912226.jpg

and this is the last picture ill take of my amp rack that will be different in 2 weeks. i have lots of tech flex to use

cid10070918459006555.jpg

**** bro those are some sick ass door pods i wish i could have helped make em with you but **** that how are you i havent talked to you in a min i actually did a little fiberglassing last night long story ill tell you later. bty did you make 2nd anyways brother ill holla much love i miss you ha ha but for real

thanks for the compliments guys, im currently in the Arabian gulf doing the whole 'killin terrorizers thing in Afghanistan. i have finished pictures of the door pods somewhere, but i cant access them here. if anyone lives in the virginia beach area and wants to come by to check it out - ill be happy to demo the system when i get back.

It doesn't kill sq as much as digital camo does //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

req

5,000+ posts
am a mod.
req
Syracuse, NY
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date